[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - StrangeBrew Vega *FINISHED* (Finally)

StrangeBrew Vega *FINISHED* (Finally)

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

StrangeBrew Vega *FINISHED* (Finally)

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Strangebrew molded this Vega body up for me and it was time to start on it.

Decided to do a little stagger effect up front so i used different size wheels/tires.

Looks ok to me so far.

Longer than others at 96.35 MM wheelbase, but that's how they were.

Fun working on this one. I might not make it like my old car as planned. I have another scheme in mind, so forgive me Dave :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: StrangeBrew Vega WIP

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Yes. Many cars ran what was sometimes called a "pony" wheel on the left front.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:35 am

That is looking sharp Harry!. Brew made a great body right there, it really looks the part.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby strangebrew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Last edited by strangebrew on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:31 pm

There ya go :)

Looks like I might have been in that mess. My skills go way back :)

Thanks Dave.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Very cool - replicating specific local/regional level cars is great stuff.

Looks like that Notchback Vega was specially 'mastered' - Not sure I have seen a 1/32 notchback Vega out there before. It is always a challenge to get the specific body styles for these specialized builds.

The chassis looks shiny - was it tumbled?

Oh yeah, and what guide is that? I am trying to get informed, as I am getting into the 1/32 scale builds.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:13 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:17 pm

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Great photos Dave, thanks for these. This helps others seeking to get ideas and that is always a big help.

Anyway, slow going for me but have the side bars and body mount plate installed.

To make for easier and stronger supports, you can drill small holes into the side "frame" rails. I measure and mark with a Sharpie where I want them and then drill.

The size you use is up to you. I felt the 3/64th was a good call. Could have went a little larger I suppose but it looks ok. I used needle nose pliers to make the bends and then I trimmed the tops to a level appearance using side cutters. I finally filed the tops of the rods flat to allow the horizontal bar a cleaner mount surface and soldered in place.

Nothing fancy. Simple design.

The neat thing about these bars mounted like in this fashion is that they sort of double as body mounts. Take your needle nose and you can bend them up and down to raise/lower the body to get the rake/stance you want. Creating small notches in the body help keep it aligned and make is easier for you to make your main body mount.

So with the body supported by the bars, it was easy to measure/cut/install the mounting plate up front. I cut the plate so it just touched the inside of the body. I then placed the body back on the chassis, and using some scrap rod I pushed the plate in place so it sat flush on the brass mount plate. I used a toothpick and put some Testors model glue on the end and applied it on the edges of the plate and body. Once it was dry I removed the body and flowed some hot glue over the tops to really hold it while I marked and drilled the holes.

How it sits now.

I measured the side bars to make the sides pretty much flush with the outside sidewalls. Not perfect by a long shot, but it will do :)

So not much, but closer.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Nice craftsmanship! Vega! Vega! Vega!
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:06 am

Love the bar work Harry, that baby's really taking shape!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 am

Looks like it will be a great car!

I have a question about scratch built brass chassis. It seems that most of those that I see use a pre-made brass IL rear bulkhead that holds the rear axle bushings and attaches the endbell end of the motor to the unit. Do they make a similar pre-made brass rear axle/motor mount for a SW configuration? Or for AW configuration? Thanks.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 am

Allan, the only brass bracket i know of is the Professor motors unit for in-line config.
http://www.slotcarcorner.com/1-32-Slot- ... -p390.html
There may be others, but i have not seen them yet.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks Bob, I haven't seen any SW or AW brass brackets either. But, it seems a little strange to me that they don't exist, since SWs are usually competitive, or more, with ILs..... And a brass AW rear unit might go a long ways towards taming the "hop" that you often see on wood tracks with plastic AW pods in plastic chassis cars :think:

Seems like there would be a market for them if there's a market for the pre-made IL brackets.

Sorry for the thread hijack............... :text-threadjacked:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!