[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slotless MagRacing Oval Track

Slotless MagRacing Oval Track

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: Slotless MagRacing Oval Track

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Riley Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 am

Riley Elf

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:44 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby OilKan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:20 pm

Hello everyone, sorry I'm so late I just found this thread today. and wanted to share some points concerning Vintage and Nor Cal's 1/24 talks Concerning upgrading motors and the addition of more powerful batteries with out destroying Wes' designed ESC, you could use the stock ESC as a control circuit to switch the higher amperage proposed in running more powerful motors while limiting the power to the ESC or retaining a AAA a supply power for the ESC. If anyone is still still interested I could design a simple circuit that will work in a larger 1/24 car as well as one that I believe would be a viable option in the 1/32 to add power for a stronger motor in the NASCAR. this is a viable option that will retain the variable speed control while that isn't a concern with the steering coil could be achieved with a transistor.

Being born in the American south, North Carolina(home of NASCAR) I grew up on stock car racing like dirt late model stock cars and NASCAR and I have always wanted to emulate that experience. I love the idea of the standard nylon tires as the slip of a loose racecar is hallmark of NASCAR and essential to dirt late models. I have been all but obsessing over this for the last few years, saving money to make this a reality. biding my time doing tons of measuring and calculating to come to as close approximations of the speeds they are running while assuming the cars are all unmodified stock.

My first mag track, as planned thus far, has been designed it to be set up and moved from place to place with relative ease using 7 interlocking modular sections, much like the module systems used by many scale model train clubs, with each section being independently supported and height adjustable.The trioval is designed to be very large 12ft x 18ft and stand just 2-3 feet on uneven footing, since the size alone will prevent me from setting it up inside all but the largest indoor areas.The turns will be independent modules banked, 10 to 12 degrees, to eliminate any seems in the corners. I will mount the 12in. wide racing surface on a plywood base, with a wall around the outside and 2 ft simulated grass, paint, inside to provide lots of run off room to re track. The track is going to be 5 lanes, 3 side by side lanes with 2 blocking lanes on either side of the center lane, and lots of lane changes, 1 per foot per lane down the straights. the back stretch will be 12ft long with 2 4ft short shoots on either side of the trioval.
By my cost analysis I should be able to build this size of a track for next to nothing, under $100, considering my HO scale 4lane slot car trioval on a 38inX80in door cost over $1200 and over $400 was just track.
I believe this configuration of your system will allow for young, our little children, and inexperienced drivers to be competitive while still being engaging for the more serious competitors, aka my slot car buddies. Who show little to no interest in magracing.

My next track is going to be a 1/2mile dirt Magracing oval running late models and open wheel modifieds.
OilKan

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby OilKan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm in eastern North Carolina, I just love what they did with the red bull short track. Sparky Speedway is my little HO home track.
OilKan

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:01 pm

That is a great looking car that Wes has done and yes it could be easily convert to any classic open wheel series. From looking at the Magracer website, I see that several of Wes's customers are coming up with some pretty cool stuff like a 3D printed space frame chassis with a full roll cage with battery box and perches to mount the steering bits built in. I see great things coming from the magracing crew in the future.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ned » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 pm

In case you didn’t know, second generation magracing is now here. You can build your own 1/32 scale mag steer car with generic off the shelf 2.4ghz gear. Pistol grip transmitters, receivers, electronic speed controls (ESC) and servos for steering are readily available online. Cars can go forward, reverse, coast, and brake. Use front wheels, tires, and stub axles, along with rear wheels, tires, axle, and spur from a 1/32 slot car. Of course use your favorite body too. Cars are powered by a 3.7v rechargeable l-ion battery, which provide enough energy to power a car for nearly an hour.

Some features & facts concerning cars:
Realistic top speed and cornering.
Choice of tires which affects traction and drifting.
Ability to take racing line.
Highly detailed 1/32 slot car bodies.
Cars with battery weigh 60g-80g .
Unlimited number of cars on the track or a lane at same time .
With adequate tire traction, cars can easily climb hills with 10% grade.
Cars can handle corners banked up to 8 degrees, perhaps more.
Chassis kit CK8, which I designed for 2.4ghz gear, is available at https://www.shapeways.com/product/BVQQ6 ... d=65196717
CK8 chassis has adjustable wheelbase from 2.90” to 3.30” and front track/tread only 1.85” with typical wheels.
Longer wheelbase available on request.

Some features and facts concerning track:
Build your own...no track commercially available at this point in time.
Make any size with any number of lanes, indoors or out, permanent or portable.
Realistic with no slot in track.
At location of your choice, imbed thin steel plates in track to enable changing to different lane/guide wire.
Minimum guide wire radius of tightest turns is 9”.
Track can be banked in case of permanent installation.
All materials are readily available locally or online.
Cost of materials for a portable 4’ x 24’ oval is less than $200 ! An 8’ x 24’ would cost under $400.
For very detailed info on how to build Two 8' x 12' Tracks that Fit Under a Bed for less than $200 click on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oXr ... sp=sharing
Ned

Postby daves » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Hey there...

I bought a mag race car and controller several years ago in hopes of building an outdoor layout. It never happened for me, but here is one that did get built in Sedona, AZ. It's not an oval, but nonetheless a creative example of mag racing.

Dave

daves

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 am

I must have missed this post. This is really beyond cool.
I have often thought of doing an outside slot car track or magnetic slotless racing track - and here is a great example of what is possible.

Thanks for posting this, even though I missed it, this is a really unique hobbyist effort, and the outcome looks to be a first class result.

I can imagine a scene in my back yard, the part of the back yard that I have left alone to be natural woods. Imagine a scale oval, at night, with little light posts illuminating the track - with Modifieds running on a Saturday night - who knows maybe little stands, and pit row. It would make for an interesting set up.

The G-scale (I think) train guys create backyard running train lines, why not oval racers?
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Previous

Return to Oval Racing HQ!