[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - motors

motors

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

motors

Postby bbgun9x » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi all. Wondering if i can get everyones opinions on motors. Again i run sprints and mod womps on a short oval. Ive been experimenting with various motors. I recently tried the Plafit cheetah 2. What has been your experience with that motor? I think it has a strange power band, like its meant for looooong straight aways as it doesnt make power until the last third of throttle pull. The falcons seem to provide a smoother constant pull. Trying to get the right motors for my short track. I was thinking the cheetah would be a better fit with the lower rpm max but its like a light switch at the end of the pull which i rarely hit because my straights are 4ft. Thanks in advance
bbgun9x

Re: motors

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 am

While I don't have experience on that short of a track, I will say that we run the Plafit Rabbit motors in our spec Womp class at the commercial track and it is and it makes for a nice reliable power plant with good feel/control. If that doesn't get you the amount of "punch" you are looking for - the other Plafit motor that we utilize, with great results is the Plafit Fox II motor. We utilize them in a 1/32 JK chassis for our Formula 2 class and it makes for a very sporty combo that has a nice linear powerband.
Not sure that helps - but at least it might be some food for thought. :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby nhdungeonracer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:48 am

If you're running the Plafit motors and are happy with them, I would suggest you try the Piranha motors and maybe the H&R Hawk motors.
Both of these will bolt in. They may be a bit lower rpm, but I think you will be surprised in that they may be just as fast on the track.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Yep, thinking of saying them same thing but figured best to leave the commercial stuff alone.

But less wheel spin is better. On a short track like that, a Piranha would be more than fast enough for my taste.

But, to each their own.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DRW21 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Try using a smaller pinion, this might sound crazy but drop a tooth or 2 and just try it, it will have a huge effect on the power curve of the motor and if you have short straights you won't really loose out on speed, your lap time may get quicker as you will have more brakes and can brakes later making the straights longer and you will have way more control over the way the car behaves. The motor will also run heaps cooler too.
Those Piranha motors are great!!!
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bbgun9x » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Good info. Thanks guys. I was able to get the cheetah dialed in tonight. Its amazing that a bound up guide flag and front axle impact power and obviously handling. Once i freed her up she was wistling and broke the track record.
bbgun9x

Postby nhdungeonracer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:05 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby bbgun9x » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Im only running at 8 volts, so no laughing allowed. 1.9 seconds on the outside lane.
bbgun9x

Postby bill from nh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:02 am

Since you're only running on 8 volts, you're over-powering the cars with the Cheetah & Falcons, yet not letting them develop top RPM's. This could cause some of the pull issues you mentioned in your first post here. I'd recommend you try one of the less powerful motors mentioned. On 8 volts they might be just as fast are what you're now running, but smoother to drive.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:20 am

The Pirhana motor is one of the best deals out there, they even come with premium motor leads for $7.99. I have eight Pirhanas and they all turn 22-23K RPM at 12 volts. At the last Area 51 24 hour endurance race the Pirhana was the spec motor, all of the cars had the same straightaway speed and there were no motor failures.
If you are running cars without traction magnets there is a limit to how much you can gear them down before they start to get wheel spin or are just too difficult to drive. We usually run our cars at 10 volts and although we sometimes run on a track with shorter straights we do not change gears for it.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:47 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:59 am

Have any of you guys compared the H&R Jack Rabbit to these motors? I had one that I set up for my 18 foot oval and it seemed about right for a shorter track . Motors with power like a Cheetah would seem to be way to strong to drive nicely on a smaller track. We run Cheetahs on a Blue King!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!