[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Buick Short Tracker - Finished!

Buick Short Tracker - Finished!

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: Buick Short Tracker - WIP

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Looking da bizness! Really cool looking car!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Great looking update!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby strangebrew » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:28 am

I can hear that Chevy small block roaring now. :dance:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tjettom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 am

Hello Harry, Can you give the wheel/tire sizes you are using? I'm still learning the 1/32 scale wheel/tire combo sizes. Seeing the wheels/tires assembled and installed on a car gives me more of a visual than interpreting from a chart...
Thanks,
tjettom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:56 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:22 pm

I decided to add some flares to the rear.

I show these using the Evergreen Styrene. HOWEVER, if you don't have a hobby shop nearby, check your local Dollar store/Wal-Mart. Check out the FOR SALE/GARAGE sale signs. They are usually $1.00 and work perfectly.

I trimmed and tacked in the flare bases with superglue. Superglue sands easily so not to worry about a little excess.

The excess I will trim away with a cut off disc later when the resin dries.

That's right, RESIN. I will flow a very small batch of resin over the flare bases and allow it to flow over and drip off. I like using the Smooth On product for this as it just sands smoother to me.

I just mix with a toothpick and then take the toothpick and drip the resin on the seams.

After drying I sanded with 600 grit paper to start shaping. The first attempt seemed to come out pretty well.

This shows how I trimmed the excess away.

I sanded and shaped them with a Dremel sanding barrel. I literally ended up removing almost all the original flaring base. That's ok though. The resin created the shape I wanted and those strips were just a base for the resin anyway.

Not bad. Little more feathering with some sandpaper to do.

The amount of flare was set to almost sit flush with the 2 1/2 width. Close enough.

Getting closer. But I am leaning towards flaring the fronts. Not really seen prototypically, but this is a free-lance shop after all :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby CrockettNZ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 pm

nice job Harry that looks great

you can also use any slightly stiff plastic
the upper section of a coke [etc] bottle works well
some of the blister packaging works to
I like to use anything on hand that costs nil and would otherwise get thrown away
the blister packing also is good for making interiors, air splitters, side/rear windows
just have to use that imagination
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Like the flare addition!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Cheater » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Hey Harry.While you are on a roll why not front flairs also.Some can grind them off if they don't like em'.That
's assuming you are going to make some available.
That sucker is cool! :text-bravo:

Cheater
Cheater
I've got Major Medical

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Well, you are The President...so here we go.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:06 pm

Very nice Harry!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Z-carfan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Looking awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 am

Harry- they are perfect! I agree with flaring the front - it balances the car more that way.

Another trick it to use paint if you don't have resin to flow over the flare.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Ok, it has been a long and fun learning experience but it's finally finished.

It's not perfect.

But I feel it looks the part well enough.

With the help of Doc and Shotgun, and even Dixon John :)

And now I get to learn another craft: Mold Making!

Yes, I will cast this and make a few of them for the fellas that might want them.

With 2 more Sportsman models arriving, it is going to be a Sportsman Summer. Then a 37 heading in as well. Plenty of oval building to keep me busy the rest of the summer and have them ready for Labor Day.

Lot of fun to say the least.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby CrockettNZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:11 am

looks great Harry
can't wait to see it all painted up and finished
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!