[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 3 lane oval idea

3 lane oval idea

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

3 lane oval idea

Postby woodman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:23 pm

The bottom version what do you think......actualy the centerlane could run a ghost car with the other 2 lanes battle it out....tryoval idea added without crossovers......
20170102_104743.jpg
Last edited by woodman on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 3 lane oval idea

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:12 pm

If your stuck on having a lane crossing, I would suggest it being at the entrance of each corner, simply because you tend to be more under control in than out. Myself, I would stay with straight lanes ...no crossing. It's a great concept to imagine, but in reality these cars go 3-4-5 if not more times faster than the real thing. So what most people have pictured in their head is that Interaction you see in 1.1 scale, and cannot be replicated in this scale "I don't think". At least in a short straight, not to mention the added offs your going to have. Your probably going to be putting cars back on the track more than your racing, which don't make much fun...Just my opinion !
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby woodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:31 am

20170103_101633.jpg
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:41 pm

I agree that those crossings are likely to make for too many crashes. A few years ago I saw a picture of a track that pinched lanes1 and 2 together in one turn and 2 and 3 together in the other turn.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Wood, many years ago we had a 4-lane oval where all lanes were a same-sized oval and crossed over entering the corners. we ran Monogram Midgets. it was a blast.
I've seen other layouts with crossovers here and there since, like a 3-lane, 3-times around sprint car track somewhere.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:27 pm

The third design reminds me a lot of a friend of mine's 2 lane with crossovers in the corners. I don't have a picture of his track with the crossovers in it - but they were placed mid corner,not at the entry or exit.
This picture from Scalextric isn't of an oval - but it matches how he has his placed:

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for racing with novices - but running non-mag Tran-am cars on his has made for great entertainment as it evened out both lanes and throws the twist of pass "timing" into things.

Whether that would translate on the larger three lane version, I can't say - but I have to say, it looks fun! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby woodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 pm

You know a ghost car could be set up with a rear guide to follow the slot and a seperate voltage reostat to controll the speed, ride in the center lane, ........ to make it fun runing by ones self.....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 3 lane try oval idea

Postby woodman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:27 am

Radius variations , increase exiting the turn. .....
20170107_083922.jpg
20170107_083906.jpg
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:51 pm

I was going to bring the spacing from 6" in the turns to 4.5 in the straights, about 5" spacing through the big radius. ......I like this end of the track for the squeeze. ....

20170107_181855.jpg
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Now we are starting to cook with Crisco. This last one is a nice one.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 pm

If you know me, I love squeezes and the cross-overs. The only reason PDR didn't keep them is I routed them too shallow and the cars would change lanes sometimes.

I think on an oval as you've done it would be fine.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 am

A few years ago, I built a tri-oval with a squeeze section in the "3rd turn" (so to speak)

What it allowed was for the outer lane to keep his speed up while the inner lane had to slow down. It made for great racing until one gets a little too brave and tries to take the same real estate of the guy in the next lane. We also noted it wasn't always the outer lane that got booted...
This track was 16' end to end, and if I recall right, was around 9' out at the widest point.

Just thought I'd share in case it it helps.. :D
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby woodman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for the input, nice track...
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Well I am doing the last diagram shown above. .........

20170110_151506.jpg
20170110_123948.jpg
20170110_131902.jpg
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm

These guys will be fun on this track.....
20170110_201344.jpg
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!