Pro Track Tire Help

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Pro Track Tire Help

Postby bbgun9x » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:42 am

Hi all. Wondering if i can get some opinions. Our club runs on a small 4x8 routed oval. Flat latex paint. We were running 40k motors in sprints plus chassis with standard and natural Pro Track foam tires. We were treating the tires with wd40 or lighter fluid and after so many laps it would wear off and the cars would start to handle like 1:1 cars on a slick track. If you didnt treat the tires they were undrivable. Weve since switched to 25k motors as the bigger motors were too much. Now with the smaller motor it seems the cars never lose traction and just zing around at nearly full throttle. I like the slippery effect as it puts the driver back into it. Any thoughts on how to reduce traction? It seems if we treat the tires the field is consistent and tight. If we dont some tires that are newer or for whatever reason stick better and the field is all over the place. Maybe we just dont treat tires or track at all and call it good? Any input is appreciated.
bbgun9x

Re: Pro Track Tire Help

Postby woodman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:07 am

Talcum powder will loosen things up....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bbgun9x » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks Woodman. Do you put it on the tires or track? How much and how messy does that get? Has anyone tried this?
bbgun9x

Postby woodman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:49 pm

put a little dab in your hand and work it onto the tires....It will take the stickyness of the foam tires....I have protracks on all our cars.....On my new home track I can lightly clean the tire with mineral spirits and after a few laps they start to sliding just right .....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:43 pm

40,000 motors on a 4X8 oval. I can't imagine that. We run 15k motors on a King track and they are fast enough, and make for good racing. We ran a few cars with Plafit Fox motors and they were as fast as we ever want to go. Cheetah power was really hard to control. We found racing was a lot better with a little less motor.

We run all silicone, I have no experience with foam on home tracks.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!