[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - First feature run at Palm Coast Speedway

First feature run at Palm Coast Speedway

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

First feature run at Palm Coast Speedway

Postby qball41 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:51 pm

The first 8 car feature was run at Palm Coast Speedway today!

Palm Coast Speedway is a 4'x12' 4 lane Carrera bullring. The track with lighting is now set up and running. Cars are 1/32 womp chassis with resin dirt late model bodies. Rumors are swirling that an open wheel class will be added soon.

without room lights:

with room lights:

Trackmate computer scoring system is ordered and will be installed in the next few weeks. Now I'm looking for racers... anyone in Central Florida want to turn some laps? We'll be using a unique race format originally created by a guy named "hotshoe" from Louisiana. I miss the days racing with him and his group. Currently I'm using a "solitaire" racing system where each car runs against the clock. I use a typical short track format. 2 laps for qualifying, 8 lap heats and a 40 lap feature.

eight car field coming to the green:

the #37 Little Caesars late model takes the win from the pole.
qball41

Re: First feature run at Palm Coast Speedway

Postby dge467 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Nice track!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby slothead » Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Nice track and I like the fact you're a solo racer simulating full races. I do this on my road course for fields up to 20 cars.

Please tell us more about your system, including the lap times you used to do this race. Do you do a heads up start (fast qualifier on the pole) or inverted start (points leader starts at the rear) like at a local Saturday short track?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby historiceng » Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 am

Your track looks really good, very neat, especially the atmosphere from the lighting. Definitely given a desktop link for inspiration making my home oval!

I am relatively new to slot oval racing (or any slot car competition), it has really only been since discovering HRW, with all of the support from Harry and Brew and everyone, that it's all come alive for me.

Solo racing is something I hadn't thought of before, the concept sounds good fun but the small details are really interesting to set up a system for myself. Thank you for posting and any further details would be a great help.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon May 28, 2018 5:19 am

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby qball41 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:26 am

Before explaining the solitaire racing, allow me to explain how I have it set up for group racing.

Given that I think I can recruit people to race if everything is provided (at least to start), I have equally prepared Womp chassis cars that can be assigned to each driver by a random draw. I have a larger number of bodies and once each driver has their assigned chassis, they can pick the body of their preference.

Since we will be using a racing format that is different than the typical slot car format of running a certain amount of time in each lane and counting laps, All 4 lanes are set up to be as close to equal as possible. Lap times range typically from 2.55 to the low 2.6's. Each lane can run in the 2.5's. I'll write more about that unique racing format in a future post.
qball41

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon May 28, 2018 9:32 am

Great looking track and cars!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby qball41 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:48 am

Solitaire racing: Here is how I simulate a Saturday night short track format.

Here is a picture of the race sheet I use. I created it quickly on Excel. If its hard to read, and you want a clear copy, just PM me an email address.

Let me walk you through the format:

Qualifying is the two yellow areas on the top of the sheet. Each car takes a flying lap and then is on the clock for two laps. The best of the two laps is recorded as the qualifying time. Results are recorded on the right side of the sheet. All cars qualify in the same lane which I pick at random.

Heat races is the blue area on the sheet. Cars are lined up for the heats based on qualifying times using a 4 car inversion (fastest qualifier in each heat starts fourth). Each car runs for 8 laps and their time is recorded. To simulate the extra effort needed to pass cars and move up, cars starting in row 2 have .2 seconds added to their total time. Cars starting in row 3 have .3 seconds added to their total time. This is explained in the blue box on the left. Results are recorded in the blue area on the right. Each heat race is run in a different lane - both different lanes than the one used for qualifying.

The feature race uses both the green and tan areas. At this point the feature starting line up is based on the heat race results. Currently there is no inversion in the feature starting line up. This may change. Heat one cars start in the inside row, Heat 2 cars start in the outside row. Like in the heats, rows in the back have a penalty added to simulate them having to pass cars to move up in positions. Rather than running each car for their 40 lap feature all at once, I break it down into 10 lap segments. Each car runs 10 laps in each of the 4 lanes. The times for each lane are added up to determine their feature total.

If I didn't explain any part of this well, feel free to ask questions!
qball41

Postby historiceng » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Slothead and qdball,

Thank you for such thorough answers, at first, Slothead, I was thinking that you had timing for each section, but now I can see what you mean by calculation. I can see a spreadsheet is very helpful.

Qdball, thank you also for taking the time to explain so well, the spreadsheet again is very useful. I can see how particular cars would become favourites to win, which is very interesting, especially when they are scratchbuilt.

I have to work away for a while this week but I am going to download some of this and print to study. Also thank you for the Barry Boor link, more evening reading...

Thank you all for your support.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon May 28, 2018 1:46 pm

qball - thanks for your detailed explanation and I will PM you for a copy of your race sheet. HRW ls a great place to learn from what others are doing to enhance how we enjoy this hobby.

Eric - despite how Barry Boor seems to think no one would find his stuff interesting, I read every word on his site and printed it all out for future reference. Barry is my hero and I was thrilled to have exchanged a few emails with him at one time and even got him to join HRW though he hasn't posted anything in years.

As you noted, my system would be so much better and easier to implement if I had section timing. Both my tracks have 7 sections so 6 additional timing points would be needed. I wouldn't want that many dead strips around the track so I'm still considering how that could be done. This would also deal with deslots since a car's penalty in a given section would just be it's actual time to be put back into action and exiting that section. if a car's section time exceeded some nominal expectation it would be ruled a spinout and even if it were in a no passing section cars behind it would be allowed to pass. I do this now, but have to use a log sheet to record the location and severity of deslots to assign time penalties.

I primarily simulate races on my road course though I have developed protocols for oval races too since I have nearly 100 dirt modified cars I built eager to do battle in classes from vintage cars to aerodynamic super dirt modified cars. Since these races are shorter (8 or 10 lap heats and 20 - 40 lap features) the time offsets between starting positions (when each car crosses the start line relative to the pole sitter) are different as is the delay for getting caught in traffic in a no passing section. Without no passing (single racing groove) sections, I've found a faster car can get to the front much easier than usually ever happens at a real race. Oval racing isn't drag racing, and where a faster car encounters slower ones determines it's forward progress. All this puts fun pressure on me to get the most out of each car while recording laps, without spinouts which will set a car back significantly.

Spinouts that cause a caution flag are another thing but are an important aspect of oval racing. At my favorite Friday night track on the rare occasion a 35 lap features goes green to checkered without a caution period, there is often an unexpected winner because the top runners starting in the back just can't catch a good running car that started near the front and had an open track. Simulated racing needs to include both caution flags to regroup the field for restarts when triggering events occur, while also making it unlikely cars that started at the rear of the field can win a race flat out. When something like that does happen it needs to be because that car put together 35 amazing laps and made ideal passes on the way forward.

I hope more racers chime in with thoughts or ideas, and that there are ongoing reports on great racing at Palm Coast Speedway.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 am

Any new results at Palm Coast Speedway to report?

Also, for heats and the feature, do you record individual lap times for each car, or just each car's overall start-to-finish time?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby qball41 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Sorry for being away from this thread for a bit. I've been focused on making some modifications, recruiting racers, and have discovered I need to upgrade the track power supply.

(Plus, my building of the track goes in starts and fits.)

Look for some updated information soon including a new class that is even better than the late models!
qball41

Postby vonsirius » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 am

Nice track and interesting post too!

I have send you a PM.

I´m not always a solo racer but mainly.
I knowed Slothead´s way but it´s courious to see different people using different ways to manage races.
:text-goodpost:
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby qball41 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:54 pm

New happenings at Palm Coast Speedway!

Palm Coast Management is proud to announce that a new class is being developed. Testing is underway for the new open wheel, wingless Sprint Car class!

The cars are 1/32nd sprint cars - completely 3D printed. Motor just snaps in, add axles and guide and you're racing.

I had the car set up with the same pro track wheels and tires as the late models. I then switched to these for a more realistic look.
qball41

Postby slothead » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:53 am

Nice looking sprint car. The 'unibody' design is interesting and seems like a great idea for a simple way to go.

At Shepherd Speedway I started out only interested in creating a field of 12 big block dirt modified replicas for recreating races between some of the best cars and drivers over the years. But over time I created a street stock class which kept me building cars and now I have 3 modified classes each with slightly different tire and chassis rules plus vintage dirt cars (pre 1960) and muscle car stocks (60's - 70's). I've planned for but have yet to run a full event in which each of the 7 classes gets to participate in their own heat, consolation, and feature races. Then I hope to repeat these events regularly and crown season champions in each class.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your sprint cars as well as hearing more about how late model races are going and how your system evolves.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!