[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Oval

New Oval

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

New Oval

Postby ratfink03 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 am

Hello everyone
I am In the process of building a first slot car oval. I'm building in 1/24 and track is going to be 12'x6' . I want to have a short track atmosphere. Hoping for close car action. I have all wiring done and have wired for 4 lanes, but now I am wondering if I should only go with 3 lanes. Probably only 2 or 4 of us racing unless someone shows up that I am not aware of as there seems to be no one in lower western NY interested in Slots..
Planing on 4" spacing with 6" outside and 3" inside boarders. Some of the other questions that I'm debating with my self are, what paint to use. (flat, semi gloss or gloss? ). Which tires I should use. I have a couple of H&R chassis and would also want to build sprinters. As u can tell I am new to hobby. I was going to build track a few years ago but got side tracked with Iracing, but now the bug has bitten me again.. I have Pyramid power and Parma 45 ohm controllers, braid and tape. Table is built and it is 42" high.. I came from Model Railroading and chose that height. Not sure if that is a good height or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated issues.This is a great forum and you guys have some great looking tracks.. cant wait to get up and running. I'm ready to route but just not sure on these few issues... !!!
There is a track that I ran across on youtube that caught my eye and hope to have similar feel.. It is Cape Town oval racing Bonzai. Thanks everyone
Bob
ratfink03

Re: New Oval

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:50 am

Ditto.

If you have the room to make that extra lane, go for it. You never know who might move next door, or is willing to drive a little to enjoy a nice track.

I like using flat or satin. In fact, they small "test" bottles you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot are great. They go a long way and are a good way to test an area to see if you like it.

Welcome to HRW.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ratfink03 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:26 am

Forgot to ask about motors.. On such a short track 12x6' , which motors would you suggest? The ones I have came with chassis and are 40,000 but have been reading that maybe 18000 hawk might be a better choice? And I forgot to ask. What about brakes? Do you guys wire in brakes on your controllers? Tks for help everyone !!!
ratfink03

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ratfink03 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Thks for all the info.. What about tire choice ? Chassis have foam tires, Should I go in another direction? I see (rubber of different kinds , Silicone, foam with silicone from 3-M ) etc. Is it an experimental choice or what works best with latex? Probably I'll be the one building cars at first and I guess it can b my track rules that will determine things like this??? Sorry for newbe questions. I know they have all probably been asked before... tks in advance !!!! I hope to route tomorrow and will probably go with 4 lanes.. I'll try to post some pic's soon. thanks everyone. !!!!
ratfink03

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm

I would just try the tires you have already. Keep them clean. When you first start racing you will notice some "dust" build up on them. That is the tires picking up the paint a little and wearing it in. Scuff sand them over some light grit sandpaper and head back to the track.

No problem on the questions, that's why we are here :)

I will PM you my number and you can call em anytime as well.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Fingers is right. If you can, keep it more around 32 or 36 inches. My oval is HIGH because my basement walls made it impossible to have it lower. It is fun, but harder to marshall the cars.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Here is mine

You notice at the back of the photo is a ledge. it is called a "cap" around here as was poured back in the 70's to strengthen the basement foundation. I was forced to build my table on TOP of that, hence the height.

It creates a VERY unique perspective when racing though, in fact, as Jeremy said...lots of guys like it.

If I had the choice? Sure, I would do it again. It is fun watching the cars like this and makes my old hunk of lumber a bit different.

Just have a decent grabber :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ratfink03 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 am

Hello again.
I thought of another question before I route . Although I haven't got a timing system and lap counter to install, I am thinking of the adding Trackmate or something in the future and would like to braid into track the correct dimensions for length of "dead strip" etc.. As near as I can tell, there is about 1" or so of an area with no braid on each side of dead strip with a distance of 4 or 5" of braid in between.. any other thoughts on lap counter system would be appreciated..I would like to stay away from overhead photocell system.. oh and also what about slot depth? How deep do you go and do you route in one pass? Sorry for stupid questions Thanks in advance
Bob
ratfink03

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:46 pm

I route as deep as the wood and router let me without going through.

Just set your router and cut a test path on a corner where it won't hurt anything.

As far as dead strips. I'll bow out and let someone else chime in. I don't use them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ratfink03 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello everyone.. Well here is image of my track. Still have scenery to do and fences to make along with cars which bring me to a couple of questions I hope someone might answer. Track is 1/2" MDF. How do you keep the integrity of the slot in place and not wear out in corners ? I notice that paint in slot wears off and if you're going fast enough to slide the back of the car out enough to stop forward progress, it puts a lot of pressure on the slot its self.. I'm thinking that eventually it will wear the inside of slots( mostly outside of slot groove in corner) making for a wider groove . Larger than 1/8"" .. The other question is , I am wonder if there is a post on chassis setup with guide adj, motor to gear adjustments, etc ? I guess just newbe info for someone who hasn't had slot cars for 50 years... there doesn't seem to be anyone with-in short driving distance that is into slots so it leaves me mostly by myself.. Any help would be appreciated.. I love my track by the way.. banked one corner and other is flat .. Using H & R chassis w/40000 motor.. oh and what about tires? foam or rubber etc.. sorry just have a lot of questions.. Thank you. You guys have some beautiful tracks...!!!!! sorry image didnt post I need to read the HOW TO POST PIC's form !!!! :lol: will get them up soon tks
Robert
ratfink03

Postby JimD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I will add my two cents to the table height...

Mine is about 31". I used 2x2 'T' style legs and not a typical four leg table anyplace on the entire track, so I knew I would probably need more legs that way, so....

I think the 2x2s I bought were 7 foot long and a leg of 28" got me exactly three legs per 2x2.

Jim
JimD

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Robert, I wouldn't worry about the slot wearing out in your lifetime.

Are you finding that you don't have much control using those 45 ohm controllers with the 40,000 K motors? They don't work well for me. 45 ohms is more for milder motors like those found in stock RTR cars. Better to have a controller with lower ohm rating with those motors such as ones used for commercial type tracks. Probably around 10 ohms. You will have a lot more feel with the trigger. As for tires, foam tires need to be doped for them to hook up. You can use something like WD40 or lighter fluid but that only works for about 10 laps. A lot of guys smear silicon on foam tires. The hardware store silicon from a tube will work or you can use the stuff for sealing car windshields. H&R makes an actual rubber or silicon tire too if you want to go that way.

It looks like you are off to a really great start. Have fun!
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ratfink03 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:27 pm

here are a few pic's of track. got scenery to do and other things but it seems to run. gonna be fun. I hope !!!!! :D

Last edited by ratfink03 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
ratfink03

Postby Cheater » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:19 pm

That's a great looking track Ratfink.How did make the finish look like a dirt/clay track surface?
Nice job!

Cheater
Cheater
I've got Major Medical

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!