[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 36 Ford jalopy build with video!

36 Ford jalopy build with video!

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

36 Ford jalopy build with video!

Postby btaylor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 am

Started another Jalopy yesterday. This one is going to be as authentic as I can get it. I want dents, realistic chassis, correct tires and wheels, the whole deal. I started with some brass square tubing and bent up some original style frame rails, im adding buggy springs just like the original car, and using an unsplit wishbone setup, front and rear. This is what I have so far.
Last edited by btaylor on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 36 Ford jalopy build

Postby Fitzy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:37 am

That looks Great Bob!
Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 am

Very impressive. I think these will make a great field of cars.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby model murdering » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am

Transverse rear leaf...? Nice touch! Yer killen' me.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am

That does it. I'm hooked. I still have a cabinet full of car models for this from the last time we did it, and a pile of good memories. I'm in.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RBPhillips » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Uncanny! And a bit of genius.
RBPhillips

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm

I have a '32 Vicky and a '35 Chevy Sedan in the cabinet, with a lot of other 1930s cars. I'm deciding which to do first. I'm wondering if I can draw out bike spokes to make real leaf springs. I have faked differentials before in 1/25th, and I might be able to make operable elbow front shocks and dual water pumps that double as engine mounts. Steering details could be fragile, even in brass or bike spokes. Maybe with little brass rivets?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 am

That is already looking sweet!
Looking forward to seeing progress updates sir!
:text-goodpost:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Broman62 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 am

Devastatin’ BT!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

A little more done. just a teaser for Rob. I built my torque tube driveshaft and bushings, and got it soldered in, Motor plate built and coupled up for testing. All runs smooth at this point. I left the front motor shaft long, as it will have a pulley mounted to drive the fan. Tonight I start working on the steering system that will follow up into the driver compartment and allow the drivers arms to move with the steering wheel when cornering. The electric motor will have a brass snap on cover that will be the mount for the heads and intake, plus the exhaust headers. Starting to get some detail on this one.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby slothead » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Totally impressed with all the things you are building into this car. Rotating fan?! Will the front wheels track with the guide flag and be connected to the movable steering wheel? Even though front wheels that 'steer' may not provide a handling or running advantage, I like it for the realism. That would look great on open wheel jalopies. With independently rotating front wheels this would lessen drag without having to make them so slick they can slide as much as rotate.

As for having driver's arms move with a steering wheel linked to moving front wheels - one way this could be done is with cloth arms on a driver's figure. How cool will it be to see a driver cranking on the steering wheel as a car power slides through a corner!
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Oooooo, you rascal you! I'm still ordering parts! I can't start yet!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:56 am

Rob, I hope you get all the parts you ordered, mail is a little sketchy right now! And just to keep your interest up, here are some progress pics. Yes, the steering wheel turns with the front wheels. Yes the guide flag turns them, and they are independent mounted. I am in the process of making the fan blade now. It has to be right to turn up the RPM's that the Hawk will provide. still a ton of finish work to do in the front area. lots of dremel and file work. but it is roughed in and working great so far.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 am

This is becoming priceless. What an effort Bob!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!