[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: 1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes - solder the axle bushings in place once they are set - if you want to race - it eliminates potential axle binding. It doesn't take a lot to lock them in place.

I used pictures of the original Monogram Hot Shot Midget to approximate the suspension bits, bumpers, and roll bar etc. Probably best to look at the actual car you are building a replica of, and kind of "fake" the overall look based on what you see in the reference...

I used 1/16" and 3/64" rod depending on what I was "replicating".
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

chassis is cool, I think I will get one to try out for my BD resin midgets

any photos of the body mounted to the chassis?

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 am

I put all the running gear together - track tested it and finished up the body - and I am calling this one done.

MONOGRAM 110 OFFY MIDGET RACER HRW PROXY CAR–

I took my inspiration from a post on the old HRW of an original Monogram Midget that was built to a really high standard - real
rivets - that kind of thing. I basically copied that paint scheme - I think the color combo just has that quality vintage toy look. I found a nice yellow Krylon
and I masked off some scallops/stripes - The Bardahl sponsor just worked out well color-wise and the decals were sourced from EJs Repro Midget sheet.

VINTAGE MIDGET CLASS OR CLUB RACER–

I wanted to use "modern" parts that anyone could source, so that a car could be built-up for class racing by anyone, anywhere. I used contemporary foam tires and had trouble finding correct looking inserts - So I painted the wheels black and fitted some knock offs for a competition look.
I used 1960s "Cox freewheeling" axles that originally had 2-56 threaded knockoffs which allowed front tires to spin independently. I set up the Left Front (LF) to spin independently and I set screwed the rest of the Pro Track wheels in place.

MONOGRAM MIDGET DRIVER FIGURE–

I decided to give driver detailing a try since the oversized driver figure is such a "big" part of the Monogram midget. I think it added some character to this character. Looks like he's having fun wheeling that midget around...

RESIN BODY ON SPRINTS PLUS CHASSIS

Basically it's just a stock "Big Donkey" resin kit, but I did add aluminum stacks on the intake for detail. The tires are a little beefy but I wanted the car to *run*. I did trim the fronts down to a 1/4 inch width and the backs down to about 1/2 inch wide. Looking at it with the somewhat large driver I feel the wheel tire package and track width all work well together with the car.

NAKED BRASS

Since this car will see some racing I am leaving the brass unpainted - I have found that when cars get banged up it is easier to make repairs to the naked brass - And the raw brass actually looks cool to my eye.

TRACK TUNED WITH AN OFFENHAUSER MOTOR

The chassis is running an actual Offenhauser motor! A little lead weight was added during track testing.

SINGLE BODY MOUNT PIN

The body mounts with a single T-shaped map pin. Pull the pin and slide out the tube and that's all. Just pull the body up and forward - easy to make pit stops for a race car. There is a bit of wiggle built-in to the body mount as well.

EXHAUST CLEARANCE

For the exhaust to clear the scratch built brass rollbar hoop, I used a small brass axle spacer and it worked pretty well - and it "fits in" with the overall build.

ENGRAVED CHASSIS - VINTAGE 1/24

I engraved my name on the bottom of the Sprints Plus chassis as per the suggestion of the Race Director.

SWINGLINE STAPLER SIZE TEST

Here is how it stacks up against the Swingline Stapler in the size test - It is definitely a BIG Offenhauser midget for 1/24 scale.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:20 am

Oh yeah - another thing - I also added some LEAN to the driver...

The original was always cool with the 'animated' driver working the handbrake and steering wheel - so I added a little styrene under his right leg and leaned him over EVEN MORE.

MORE DRIVER LEAN

I like the look of the dynamic driver - all arms and elbows - fighting his way through the field.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby GTI » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 am

WOW! I think I'm pulling my entry!! All kidding aside that is a wonderful build and use of talent! Very well done. I like the single pin body mount. How did you do that? I've been struggling with how to mount my Big Donkey resin. If you can share some detail and where to procure the parts that would be helpful.

Great build. My EJ's is getting ready to go out in the mail today. Thanks for sharing.
GTI
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 am

Yes sir, this is some fine modeling all around. Just fantastic.

You win! I give! :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Quickcars » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 am

Vintage, that rig is just SICK!!! That's a museum quality build. I'm in awe!!!
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lancaster Tornado! » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 am

looks great! would you mind posting a picture of the rear view of the car, would like to see how the tail looks from that angle.
thanks,
Lee
Lancaster Tornado!
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 am

Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Quickcars » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:46 am

Sheesh, the great ones make it all sound so simple.....

Lovin' that car Vintage! Models like that are what made me start this whole "Midget deal" in the first place. They are wonderful model race cars and so much fun to run together on a track.

I'm really hoping we can keep this going.

See y'all at Jeremy's!
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Lancaster Tornado! » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm

vintage 1/24
Thanks for the photo up-date, looks great from the back, which I'm sure everyone will be seeing a lot of LOL!
again great job! :dance:
Lee
Lancaster Tornado!
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 pm

hey vintage..how much for a chassis like that.....
speedjunkie

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

I am just a hobbyist who makes things for my own amusement - I don't really sell anything...

But yes, the Sprints Plus chassis is available online, retail for $11, and the Repro resin Midget body is available for $18 - complete with driver.

So - add some small brass rod if you want and you can build one that looks like mine on the relative cheap. I think rear bumper, front bumper, and some kind of side nerf should all protect the body pretty well and look pretty cool going down the track. You could leave off the radius arms and front initial if it is to fussy.

I think "Jimmy X3" has been building these to run at the East Jefferson Speedway for a while now - I think they make for a simple and sturdy little racer that also looks good. Maybe he will chime in...

IMO this would be a great way to go if you wanted to create a club racer or midget class - almost anyone could fit the resin body to the Sprints plus and be ready to play.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!