Scratchbuilt Stocker Proxy Challenge

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Scratchbuilt Stocker Proxy Challenge

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 pm

I've only been registered on HRW for a few weeks and this is all new to me, but loved Lee's 'Cuda stocker so much it got me thinking - what about an HRW oval stocker class with strict specs we can build cars for? The idea of strict specs is so they will be basically equal - same wheelbase, front and rear track, motor, wheels and tires, etc - just like a fullsize series at hometown short tracks all over the country.

I don't recall what sort of chassis Lee's 'Cude has, but I remember really getting into scratch building chassis for oval cars when I races with a club and seeing what guys come up with is most of the fun. I'd favor 60's - 70's muscle cars like Lee's for a 1/32 scale series with set body styles and expected attention to detail (interior with rollbar and driver, and possibly nerf bars and bumpers).

Having never done a proxy I don't know how the racing rules work, but I'd love to have the guys at Harry's Fun Run be doing a round-robin style tournament with my stocker to see how it matches up. If there's interest I'll build a 68/69 Cougar or Mustang and throw down with the best of you.

Slothead Joe
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Scratchbuilt Stocker Proxy Challenge

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm

I like the idea, but on the Cuda I just used the stock chassis. I just don't have the time or the patience to start making chassis's when a stock one is more than adequate. Other than having to scratch-build a chassis I like all other aspects of doing a stocker proxy and I would be up for it.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Tell you what Joe, let me get a few things done around here and will get back to you.

I am interested...but have been working on a little something that is along these lines. I'll share with you when I am done and tell me what you think?

Fair enough sir?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I do like the idea, but after being involved in many forms of slot racing for many years, much of it with scratchbuilt chassis, I do have a bit of input for you.

Personally, I think it is an excellent idea. However, I do not think you will get a whole lot of participation. As ListerStormGT mentioned, he would rather use a ready to run chassis whenever possible. I do believe there are a lot of folks out there like that.

The definition of "scratchbuilt" is one that varies widely. I have my own as do many others. We're all here to have FUN and I am suggesting that you take a look at the proxy race that SCC is putting together. I think they have rather well bound the type of cars that will be built by specifying the body type and a specific motor to use. This would make it very close racing, which is always a good thing.

My suggestion is to come up with a set of rules - basic rules - and let folks use their choice of chassis. I do think you will get a larger group to jump in for the FUN.

Just my 2¢ on the subject.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Me too. I have a couple of duplicates that are candidates.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't know what chassis Lee used on the 'Cuda stocker and guessed he'd hacked something up. I love my Pioneer Mustangs with Maxx Trac tires and could go that route too.

Last time I raced seriously (well, sort of) was with an oval track club about 25 yesra ago. We raced 1/24 scale dirt mods (all the guys follwed the racing at Orange County Fair Speedway in NY) patterned after the Saturday night warriors. Most guys took a Womp chassis and stretched it to fit home-made bodies. I built a flex offset chassis that was a dream to drive and virtually unbeatable. I'd love to do that again but understand not everyone scratch builds and am willing to go with whatever is decided to keep things fun.

Any thoughts on chassis rules for the class? Open or limited to major brands? Yes, I'll go with whatever Harry has in the works, just curious what others think.

Slothead Joe
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!