the newly reconfigured South Shore Speedway

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: the newly reconfigured South Shore Speedway

Postby oldtymer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 pm

SSS.....thanks for the reply on the lights.....Great layout...you brought back some old memories...it looks like the old clay track in Illinois I drove on in the early 80's.....ENJOY !!!
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Located on the South Shore of Long Island... This is where I race.

Very happy to see 'SSS' started posting here - now there is even a Facebook page for South Shore Speedway - all very good to see.

This place is a real gem in the secret network of underground home racing tracks. I found out about it here on HRW... But I bet there are others unaware, who would understand and "get" this track also...

It is an 8 foot by 16 foot oval and is a pretty fair scale version of Islip Speedway (last season with its flat corners I suppose it was more like Freeport). The extra wide footprint makes it fast and a driver's track - wider sweeping turns - not a "paperclip".

The competitors are serious, interestingly made up mostly of real race car drivers, and serious slot racers. Everyone seems to have some connection to the long-closed Islip Speedway, Freeport, and/or Long Island racing in general. A lot of "famous" local and Northeast cars are replicated... Only now they fight it out in 1/24 scale at SSS.

It is a "dry" track so it takes finesse to keep the car in line - no glue here - but it has the right look - catch fences, lighting, and now progressive banking. The track has seen lots of action and even hosts a Regional Reality Modified Tour race .

I have been wanting to make a post about *scale model car racing* and I probably will make a post (at some point) that is more well thought out...

But for now I have to say - not only do the cars look like real racers, and the track has the right look and performance, but the entire Short Track "Saturday Night" Bullring Atmosphere is also replicated! Heat races are run, then Consis, and various 'Lettered Mains' to create an A-Main Feature field. It is just like the real thing - the race program is run just like it would be at your local short track. There is a tremendous amount of fun wanting to compete and really trying to win. It is another dimension of the scale experience that is hard to articulate, but it adds another level of FUN.

If you like Asphalt Modifieds, Long Island and Northeast short tracks, and want to run Slot Cars - You might contact SSS and see if you "get" this track also...
Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby smithspeedway » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:49 pm

That is a really great looking track. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only "glue nazi" out there. No glue for you. It makes for better racing, imho.
smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:36 am

Gotta Love this track!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby vonsirius » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:47 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:29 am

Sharp looking track!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby woodguy32 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 pm

AWESOME.. Double AWESOME...

I follow this track on book of faces..It is such a great track.. LI got some great Slot Oval tracks...and history.. Freeport and Islip..

Its great to see such a great group race like this..I am jealous..lol.. nobody by me runs or understands the art of asphalt Modified Oval racing..

Thanks for keeping us in the action..

wood
woodguy32

Postby SRQSloter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

How did I miss this one? Nice looking oval. Like the progressive banking and your lights. Nice work.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks for the bump on this old thread btaylor.

The season should start up soon - I was asked to post the following notice for any that are interested in racing the oval - this was emailed from South Shore Speedway:

<<The slot car season is rapidly approaching as we all know...This Friday October 3rd there will be a club meeting to discuss the scheduling and the divisions that will be competing this season.

We will be discussing the rotations between South Shore Speedway and Mortonsville Speedway. Along with the three divisions we are currently running, we would like to introduce a fourth hard body division... known as Retro Modifieds. These will be pre-offset era modifieds consisting of Coupes, Sedans, Pintos, Vegas, and anything that competed in the mid to late 70's. Other body styles will be addressed at Friday's meeting.

Any questions please feel free to contact us via email (ovalmike@yahoo.com) or message the page.

Looking forward to the 2014-2015 racing season.>>
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:04 am

Bumping the thread for the open-track meeting tonight, Friday October 3rd, 2014.

SOUTH SHORE SPEEDWAY 2014-15 SEASON -

Also bumping it for anyone interested in racing the 'underground' home-based ovals on Long Island in general - never too late to get involved...

Be sure to contact ovalmike@yahoo.com for more info!

Racing 1/24 Tour Modifieds, Super-Modifieds, Street Stocks and Vintage Modifieds (along with other classes).
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

I went to the track last night and although not too many folks were there - (not a race night, and still off-season) a few folks showed up with some of the new 'Retro-Modifieds', some were in-progress builds. These are basically 4.5" FCR based hard body Modifieds from the 'pre-offset' era - figure late 60s to 70s... I have two on my bench in progress but didn't bring them in.

UNDER THE LIGHTS -

I like the way these are looking. Very cool to see local drivers from the era replicated - like Charlie Jarzombeck, Art Tappen, Maynard Troyer, Gene Gamache, and John Berkowksi...

The toy cars look so good under the banks of scale lights at this track - just something about it that creates the right atmosphere.

PRE-SEASON (IN PROGRESS) RETRO-MOD LINE UP -

Here is a quick line up. I think this should be a good class.

I will have to start a build thread. These things should be pretty easy to put together - no jig - just a dremel, some solder and the will to build!
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:12 am

Very cool looking builds and love the "under the lights" shot! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Previous

Return to Oval Racing HQ!