1/32 M/T Nova *Finished*

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: 1/32 M/T Nova WIP

Postby HRWJim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Great looking build so far. Those tires have more meat on them than a slot burger. LOL Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Hmmm, that's a lot of tire Jim! :) Appreciate the comments guys, been having a ball with this old ride today.

So it's all together and doing a little "break-in" Sing it with me: "She's a Roller"

Time to make our mounting plate. All of you mount a body differently, this method is just what I like and am comfortable with.

I take the body and place it over the plastic I am using. I then mark the area where I will make the first cut. After that I start to sand and contour it until it fits on the chassis cleanly.

Of course I grind away the openings for the motor and this case, the front guide tongue support brace.

Yes sir, looking ok.

Now for the sides. I sand the edges until the plate is JUST held in place with the pressure of the body. This way I can move it when I am setting the ride height.

Do NOT glue yet. Time to set it right where it needs to be while on the block.

Here is how I get the ride height of the body right where I want it. I place the chassis on my setup block and then the body. I test fit different sizes of tubing for front and rear, rasing/lowering it until I get it just right. Then I tape the tubes down to keep them secure.

Think you get the idea. Now while it's here I reach in with a razor knife or small screwdriver and press the mount plate down. It will seat itself against the sides of the car. Now you can take the body off and give the plate a couple drops of super glue to secure it.

You can then add more glue along the edges on the inside and outside.

QUICK TIP: If you set it up and find out the car body is still rubbing, use some masking tape. You may not think so, but just one layer can and will make a difference.

Mark your holes for drilling and time to test it out :)

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SRQSloter » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 am

Slick way of mounting the body Harry. :handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks guys, it works. At least so far :)

And now onto our extremely detailed and rather costly interior. Now I don't want anyone getting intimidated by my superior detailing skills, if I can do it...so can you. :whistle:

First we begin with our interior tray. Oh sure, playing cards are sort of expensive but nothing but the finest material here at the HRW Skunkworks.

Using MT Racing Driver...his noggin is around here somewhere. In any case you can see how basic my approach is.

And done. Very basic but it accomplished the mission. :) I will add more roll bar detail after the model is cleared and glass installed.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm

I expect to see needles on those gauges by morning! ;)
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 pm

I don't have any to scale Lee :)

Here is a quick tip for exhaust. I like using the K&S aluminum tubing. You could use plastic just as well, I just like it because if you wanted to, you could buff this out to a really nice shine. I never do it...but you could :)

After I cut it I use a toothpick and some inexpensive acrylic to make it "dirty" inside.

I did manage to get some paint on the body. I also added a small spoiler up front using left over playing card. Those things are costly so it's best to stretch the uses for them :)

Krylon Cherry Red and basic gloss black. Hand painted the bumpers and trim. Not perfect by a long shot but not bad either. It will race.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Ahh Yes!! My favorite color. Looks good Harry. :handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm

One of the expert modelers on HRW spoke about Testors Metallizer paints, and I tried a few of them. The burned iron and the exhaust versions are really spectacular. But you must rub it down a bit and use the clear sealers afterwards to get the full effect. I use them on all my exhausts these days to great effect. Easiest improvement I ever did. You should see what they do to aluminum tubing for exhausts.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm

That is lookin' sharp! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks guys. And yes Rob, they work really good. I am just getting lazy. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Sharp looking Nova!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby RazorJon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Great looking build Harry
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Seriously? That thing is just bad to the bone. Nice work and I love the color combo!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks guys for all the feedback and comments. Here is the old ride ready for action.

Decals are all SLIXX. Just some fit 1/32 off those sheets and found some I liked.

Clear is Krylon Acrylic. 3 light mist coats, then a heavier final. Buffed out with paste wax. Not perfect, but soon it will have some real character.

All in all pretty happy with the model.

I'm just grateful to Mark for taking this old car and making a great looking slot car body out of it. Also to Paul Gage for the new tire size that makes it look much better to me.

We have it made boys. So many cool after-market stuff out there today that we get to play with.

Now...onto the the next one :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Yea Harry,Thats Really a nice one,its got that hometown hero look that I love! A few scratches and some dirt,you would never know it from a 1:1 racer!
I think this might be my favorite "late model" stocker.
What driver figure is that? if ya don't mind me askin.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!