Decals?

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Decals?

Postby downtowndeco » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 am

Is there someone out there that offers midwest short track late model decal sets? Late 60's/mid 70's era? I know, that's very specific but that's what I'm looking for. Thanks.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Decals?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

Good grief!!! $10-$14 per 1/3 sheet? Is he kidding? Think of it this way-- would you pay $30-$42 for one sheet of decals? Of course not.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 am

Please try SLIXX.com.

Have mentioned this many times, but although the decal sheets say 1/24, many of the numbers and sponsors on the sheets will fit 1/32.

Check out the full NOVA build thread.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:33 am

I would try ordering some testors clear decal paper,and open up your vintage excel 2003 program,use the word art and format capabilities and make your very own.
There are better places to buy decal blank sheets (Shotgun got me hooked up on this) but the testors is available everywhere and is user friendly. You would be suprised at how easy it is,and reference material is all over the place.
I can get about three 1/32 cars worth on one sheet, You get six sheets for about $11.00.
Pretty cheap for custom decals. i use a very common walmart printer and the results are not to bad. :twocents-mytwocents:
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Ah yes, well you are correct. I am not awake yet...been a long day :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby downtowndeco » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the link! If that guy doesn't have what I'm looking for no one will. The 1/32 decals are only $6.50, which is a good price IMO. I look at it this way, if someone goes to all of the bother to research the art, lay it out & then offer them up as rtr decals they are well worth the price, especially on such obscure & niche subject matters. Think about it. How many people in the entire world are going to want to buy some of these sets? A handful at best IMO.

I do wish he had a search engine though...
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:33 pm

What/who are you looking for?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby LAMing » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Polecat lists their 1/32 size as being $6.50 each. Not bad... but not as cost effective as the sponsor/number jumble sheets that Slixx offers.
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 pm

When I was a kid in the 70's I lived in Northern Wisconsin & one weekend I got to go to Wisconsin Dells Speedway. The speed & the power of the late models on asphalt blew me away. I was used to jalopies bouncing around a 1/4 mile dirt track. In any case, I'm doing a version of that 'Dells Speedway & am starting to build a few cars for it, starting w/# 99 Dick Trickle. I have the decals for his car but now I need a few more of the local heros. Tom Reffner, Marv Marzofka, Jim Sauter etc. late 60's, mid 70's Wisconsin short track late models.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 am

I used Polecat decals on this HO car, I believe the decals are printed to order. Home printed decals do not always work well on dark coloured cars and things can get tricky if you need white.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 am

Have you been to Randy Ayers site yet?

The thing is, a lot of these guys make their own decals, or pay to have them made. And in some cases it is not cheap. But they want a certain car and are willing to pay the price.

I would avoid most vendors you might see on Ebay with "cheap" decals. Because the quality is the lowest you will find. I had a stack of decals that I just threw away because unless the car was white, they were useless. Horrible bleed-through to say the least. I can make decals too, but nothing I can make will look anywhere near the quality you see on that Nova.

I think you should join that forum and get to know some of the folks. They get a lot of requests but will respond to those who are serious about a project.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 am

Nice track! You should think about going braid though.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to Oval Racing HQ!