[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/32 Asphalt Modified Build

1/32 Asphalt Modified Build

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

1/32 Asphalt Modified Build

Postby turbokev » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:00 am

turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/32 Asphalt Modified Build

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:20 am

WOW! That looks fast sitting still!
Thank you for sharing the build pics and details Kev - I may have to look at adding one of these to my stable in the near future as well! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:34 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby turbokev » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks guys..

Marty I may add some stiffening tubes.. my motor mount setup is not supported on either side.
That said, I just ran the car hard for a few hundred laps and had my share of "well that was too fast" moments..
No ill affects..

I may try a complete home built brass chassis for the extra body I have to see what I can do..I've never
made one, and with my recent pencil torch purchase, I can finally start tinkering with brass construction.

The car weighs exactly 4 ounces as finished..and that's with a paper body~

You definitely have to 'drive it'.. too much throttle off a turn and it will get sideways costing time
or worse, a spin-out.. With the voltage set at 10, 11 or 12 the laptimes were extremely close..
The extra power made it more 'slippery' out of the turns and getting a nice smooth fast lap takes
practice and patience.. perfect for oval track racing as it evens the field.

Here are a couple shots on the track.. It looks great going around~

turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Oh this is sweet...well done sir, well done.

OK BOYS TIME TO GET BUSY :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slotguy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Kev. Car looks great with the build you did . Hope you have alot of fun racing it
Tony(slotguy)
slotguy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Nice car Kev! I recall seeing Rick run late models at Westboro in the early 70's. Which Geoff Bodine modified are you going to model? The Dick Armstrong "Big Red 1," Allard's 99, the Valiant 99, or something else? Geoff was a favorite driver of mine. After the modifieds, I saw him running sportsmans for Emanuel Zervakis in the "Oxford 250's" & later he drove for Race Hill Farm in the Daytona 500.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Bill.. It'll be the Valiant 99 paint scheme but on the modern body shape like Fullers car..

I lived a couple towns from the Fuller brothers and also watched them at Westboro!!
I lived in Northboro and my Dad took us frequently to the 'high banks' of Westboro Speedway.

From about 1975 till they closed down.. Saw lots of 'famous' drivers there.. Bouchards, Bodines, Spencer..
Late model guys like Pete Fiandaca.. The great Street Stock battles between Kevin Bowman and the
'Flyin 0' Camaro of Joe LeMay.. It was a great track for a small place..

I've got to get my act in gear and put together a race date so local guys like yourself can come over and
turn some laps and shoot the breeze about the local tracks we enjoyed growing up~
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sixtiesracer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Now THAT seems like a great idea!!! :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow:
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby sixtiesracer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:07 pm

One of my favorite drivers was Ed" Flash" Flanigan.He ran a 57 Ford Orange body and a black roof .He was the Class " B " Div. Champ at Seekonk in the mid-sixties :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby SpeedyNH » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:33 pm

hey Kev,
when you gonna put some wall sheathing on that little building? those exposed studs won't last too long with the weather up here. besides, the poor guys inside will freeze they a553s off, once winter comes!
speed
p.s. nice car, man. I love mods.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Kev, do you tumble your brass chassis before each step? I've been lazy lately and haven't taken that step even though I have a great tumbler for rifle brass.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Pete Fiandaca? one of my faves. Asphalt Modified with a blue Gremlin body, number 135- because he was on rt. 135!
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:17 am

Speedy.. Pete was a frontrunner in the Late Models at Westboro Speedway when I was going there..
same paint scheme, blue with the yellow #135 but I remember the Gremlin as well :auto-checkeredflag:

Vintage.. I just ordered some of those spacers.. I think they will work even better than the tubing.
I can solder them in place and they'll work as axle carriers and spacers to the wheels..thanks for pointing them out~

I also ordered a set of 14x12 CBD wheels and the new 22166 tires from Paul Gage.. a little meatier with a smaller
rim diameter but a taller sidewall.. Going to see how those look. I'm picking up some 60mm axles from SCC as well..
I've got the current wheels out as far as they can go on 54mm slot.it axles and can only get a 71mm rear track. The
60mm axles should let me get out to flush (or slightly past) with the nerf bars which is where I want them to be.
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!