[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Late Model Mustang Build - Care to join in?

Late Model Mustang Build - Care to join in?

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Late Model Mustang Build - Care to join in?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Going to start on the MT Racing Late Model Stang.

If anyone has one, you are welcome to join me. Maybe you have one of those Camaros? Or heck, any roundy-rounder you have been waiting to do :)

Post pics of your progress and share your ideas/suggestions as we go along.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Late Model Mustang Build - Care to join in?

Postby btaylor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Just happen to have an un built M/T Nova?
hmmmmmm?

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Uh oh. Looks like the Pro's might come in. So much for my heap now :) BUT maybe the thread will have some quality about it.

Cool guys, it would be great to see you joining in.

This model will use the standard sizes of wheels and tires as others.

Paul Gage 22166FF tires and C.B. Desing 15x10 Insert wheels.

I usually start chassis construction by determining the width of the axle mounts. I do this by using a extra long 3/32nd paino wire rod and mounting the wheels on it.

I install the tires and simply mount them under the body and set the width where I want it. On this car I don't want a lot of excess out from the body. Also in this case the width is the same for front and rear.

Since we have a strict rule on width (ahem) this one is fine.

Now I just measure the inside and ready to mark the brass for cutting.

I always cut a little longer than needed and then use a Amish bench grinder to fine tune the length.

Pretty soon it slides in and we are ready for the next one.

Round for the rear and I like the square for the front.

Ok...time to heat up old faithful. :dance:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Apologies for the delay, but I like to keep my audience riveted! :whistle:

Time to measure the main frame rails. The length of them corresponds to the length of the body panel sides. Why? because that is where I make my body mount tabs. I like to keep them even, so I mount them to the same size rail.

To do this I use my trusty retina gauge :) I set up the PM bracket and rails where they line up with the rear wheel opening. Then I just guesstimate the length and mark for cutting.

All soldered and time to move on. Apologies for the delay, but I like to keep my audience riveted!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Audi1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 pm

This is great! I'm planning to try my first brass chassis build in 2015. Let's see some more on this build.

Aud1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 pm

:)
Almost looks like the beginnings of another fun run proxy! :D
(Love the level of detail and the pictures Harry!)

After the holidays, I will have to get my Mustang back going again and join in the fun! :D
(currently putting the finishing touches on the VNFR car...)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby woodman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Face book it, so we can 'like' the heck out of Harry's Tube Chassis builds.....

Oh, and I am soon starting with a 49 Ford Coupe....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:18 am

Looking good.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 am

I will be watching this with interest Harry but cannot join you. I have a bunch of skinny tired, narrow, sporty type and saloon cars on my bench that I need to clear before moving on to other projects. I am looking at moving towards scratch built brass chassis over RTR plastic though and will be watching with anticipation for tips in that regard. :text-bravo:
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 am

Oustanding!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, not much done except front bulkhead tonight.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FootScoot » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm watching this one, but won't be able to join in. I enjoy just watching what others are doing. Great work fellas. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Kevin,
I just purchased another of these last week, 3 day turn around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-BOARD-F ... 2c583be73b

also picked up 2 packs of these for locating holding parts in place. also 3 day turn around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pack-Of-Meta ... 4620b6e2d6

myself I like the stay-clean liquid flux.

not sure what you want to know about the soldering. I use a hand held torch, apply the flux to the area and make sure it has covered everywhere I want the solder to flow. Heat the area then I move the heat back and touch the solder on the opposite end. As you keep the heat on the solder will flow toward the heat.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby turbokev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Thank you both.. I'll pick up the pins and the Nova thread was helpful..

Looks like I'll lag behind a little bit on the chassis while I wait for the parts, but I'll get started on the body~

turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!