[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - monogram nascar set-up

monogram nascar set-up

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

monogram nascar set-up

Postby The Old Jaybird » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 am

I have a number of these cars BNIB. Never really messed with them. What is the best set-up for them? Motor swap to get rid of the wonky "vertical" motor alignment. Any and all tips appreciated. Keep the body and stick a Slot.It HRS chassis under it??

TOJ
The Old Jaybird

Re: monogram nascar set-up

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 pm

I have done several of these cars. The most straightforward and simple fix for me has been swapping the motor for an MT/1 or NC-1, and a Slot.it gear set. If you don't feel comfortable with pulling plastic wheels, just swap the pinion and run some coarse grit polishing compound (Tamiya) on the gears to smooth them out. The axles are good, the wheels need the usual truing, as do tires. I lower the body a bit and turn the front tires a little to get the guide deeper. And for me, a guide swap is important as I am pretty much wood track only.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

I forgot all about that article. Use that, its better.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Harry's article is perfect if you have the wonky axles and wheels and just can't stand the bolts-in-a-blender sound.

I did it this way and kept the stock parts and only used PG tires and had good results: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=410&p=2836#p2836
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dr fabio » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 am

Ive got the Wendell Scott Ford that I will get to one day just sitting in the cupboard. How easy is it to flip the motor onto its "lower" side? Is there room in that chassis to do it?
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:35 am

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mseitz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:41 am

Here's my 2 cents: Our group races these from time to time and they are great fun. I have 5 of them. Before Harry's article came along none of us raced them and some guys had sold theirs off because they were considered unmanageable. Harry's article is the Gold Standard for setting these cars up. But what we've learned is that you don't always need to adopt all of Harry's recipe to get a good runner. If the plastic wheels are round you can keep them. The stock gears don't always mesh that badly on their own. You might keep those. You can start by just adding the Paul Gage tires adding a slab of brass weight - I prefer inside the chassis, a washer at the guide and trimming the chassis for float. You can often get a pretty good runner with just those mods.

I wouldn't begin to try remounting the motor. Just is not worth the trouble. I like cars that can compete together so I'd have to do that mod to all my cars for little gain.
Mseitz

Postby Mseitz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:48 am

Reading drreinecke's article I found that I'm basically repeating what he said. These cars can be tuned pretty well without too many extra parts. That said, I like mine with slot.it gears and CB wheels.
Mseitz

Postby The Old Jaybird » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Harry you always have great tips. TOJ
The Old Jaybird

Postby J Y D » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:05 pm

I like the way you made the interior fit ... J Y D
J Y D
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!