[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe 3D Printed

Postby Audi1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 am

Vintage 1/24, your work is excellent!

I have a question for you. Can you use the same 3D design software to create bodies for cars (I'm not sure if that modified body that you show a line drawing for is a 3D design or the lines off a body that you have/made)? If you can, then is this not a reasonable way to make a body mold that you could subsequently use to turn out resin bodies, or simply use to make 3D printed bodies? I ask because there are a lot of cars that I would like to get bodies for, but they are not available; either in molded plastic or in resin.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:31 pm

GTI -
Thanks for those photos - I am still thinking about the best guide setup - very helpful.

Racie35 -
This is a single solid piece of plastic. it really couldn't be built in one solid piece in any other way other than 3D printing. It is kind of amazing technology.

Audi -
That '35 Chevy Coupe is something I drew from scratch of a specific race car, it is not a scan or anything, and it will be 3D printed. Currently I also have a '37 Chevy that is in the works that will be more useful.

I may just 3D print one body at a time as needed, or as you say, print a single master and pull a mold to knock out resin copies - whatever makes more sense as far as quality, durability, convenience, and cost are considered.

Any subject, any scale is certainly possible.

It has always been tricky finding the right donor - Pyros too small, cars AMT never covered, other oddball sized die casts, and the occasional unusual promo kit that came in at 1/29th scale - it was always hard to find certain cars in certain scales. Making a master from wood, clay, styrene or something else was challenging, even for the best modelers at the top of their game.

This should open up things.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Racie35 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Amazing stuff for sure
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTI » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:41 am

Vintage, how gos the progress on the 3D modified? Very interested in the development….awesome work.
GTI
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby whitworthnut » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:48 am

What software are you using for the design?
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:11 am

Audi1-
I hope the PM helped regarding scratch building a 3D body. It is not really my field but there is fun to be had building 'car models' in virtual space from 'scratch'.

GTI-
I haven't had the opportunity to touch the files in a few weeks - sometimes 1:1 work gets in the way. But I did make good progress on another body shell, and I have a much better handle on the changes I need to make for the chassis. I will print out a body along with chassis 'version 1.1' pretty soon.

whitworth-
Any decent 3D program would work. I am a Mac user and I happen to use Strata 3D - mostly because I have it - but really pretty much any quality 3D program will do.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:02 pm

My oval track is in mothballs for the winter so I have been neglecting staying up with that is going on in the oval forum. This chassis is fantastic! I could even see a simple vacuform skin around it because it A) is closer to scale thickness. B) it would allow that wonderful chassis detail do the the talking.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 pm

I haven't posted any progress on this in a while, but I have been fooling around with it 'in the background'. As a hobbyist I find it a really cool way to create.

I revised/scaled the proto-chassis 102.8%. This bumped the wheel base another 2.5mm, so it would be closer to the actual car in strict 1/32 scale.

Here is the print with a shot of Krylon primer.

CHASSIS VERSION 1.1-

The first one was delicate - I deliberately went right to the bleeding edge of the printer. I wanted to see what would happen at the limit of fine printing. It worked but it was delicate. I did bust it up running test laps, and it was too easy to 'torque' and 'torsion'.

UNPRIMED UPSIDE DOWN-

I extended the 'guide plate' to the midpoint crossmember, and I thickened all of the roll bar tubes about 30%. They look a little thick to me know, but I think they will pass (I may take them down 10% from where they are now in the next iteration...).

Anyway, the increase in strength significant. I had added small tubes that spring steel or piano wire could be run up through for added structural strength, but I see that will not be necessary now. Apparently all the triangulation and structure of the full cage really stiffens the whole setup with the added thickness of the bars. I also changed out the guide mount/position to be more discrete and 1/32 friendly.

NAKED BODIES-

I finished up this body and the print will be in hand tomorrow, Friday April 17th - Looking forward to that! It is a fairly accurate copy of the Jarzombek 'Offset' Modified Coupe, which was based off of a '35 Chevy. I also worked up some wide-5 inserts and air cleaners to test how those kind of items may work out.

A lot of this will be getting to understand the printers and materials. I will try to post as I go along.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby pastor bubba » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:44 pm

It is looking good.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sixtiesracer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Hot laps racing has a generic selection of coupes and coach bodies in 1/32 scale.
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Looks very good. You have put a lot of work into this.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:29 am

Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Re: 3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 am

I designed up the "version1.1" chassis with tubes/supports 'cast in place' to accommodate reinforcing .047 spring steel, in an effort to add some stiffness to the all-plastic chassis.
The system works well, and if the car is built up with wide urethane tires, or grippy foams on a lightly glued track, I suspect the added rigidity will help make it a better runner.

LONGITUDINAL "TORSION" BARS-

Naturally I will trim them to size, and they are optional I suppose, but they slide-in firmly and definitely add integrity to the structure. They don't look out of place either, as the real car - the Jarzombek Coupe, used a Chrysler Torsion bar sprung front suspension setup...

GETTING MY BEARINGS-

I set up this chassis to run standard Parma 1/4" diameter oilite bearings for both the front and rear. These are common and are available for both 3/32 and 1/8 axles, which allows options. This setup should guarantee a nice solid quality setup for excellent running/racing. I am going to use flanged ball bearings on this one. They also fit the 1/4" boss/bung perfectly with a nice press-fit.

Here in the quaint "seaside" Bellport Village, just about 500 feet from my desk is this historical marker...

BALL BEARING CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE-

Turns out 150 years ago (and 500 feet) Oliver Hazard Perry was in his workshop when he moved a heavy toolbox to his bench. There was some round buckshot on the bench and he was amazed how easily the very heavy box would glide around the bench with just a touch. The idea was born and he invented lots of unusual things including a 'velocipede" four wheeled vehicle.

So how could I not include ball bearings in this 21st century effort?
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby slotguy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Guys... I have seen this chassis up close and had a chance to check it out . And being around the real modifieds from back in the day this is a true to scale chassis of a well known long island driver and it looks just like the real car . It is more like something carrera would build if they where going to build a modified .not a resin body on a sprints plus chassis nothing wrong with that I build them all the time and love building them this is more like a racing collectable you can drive. Cant wait to check out the body should be just as nice . More to come from vintage 24 on this car soon
slotguy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:38 pm

I have the printed body in hand and I am very pleased with the quality.

This is what it looked like right out of the printer with no sanding/finishing.

3D PRINTED BODY SHELL-

The body has pretty sharp detail and fairly smooth surfaces. There is a slight translucency to the material. I even added embossed "nymodifieds.com" lettering/identification to the inside surfaces of the coupe.

I placed it on the chassis and it looks to be an excellent fit.

BODY ALMOST ON CHASSIS-

I have to notch the Coupe to fit the bars/cage here and there, but remember this is version 1.0 - the first body shell printed.

Here is another view.

BODY CONTOUR 3/4 VIEW-

When I was a kid I liked to draw. Sometimes someone would come up and say something like "Hey, that figure doesn't have arms" and I would say something like " I haven't drawn them in yet"...

I think it is always difficult to show unfinished work.

That said, I have to share another item from the same run.

UNIQUE WIDE FIVE WHEEL INSERTS-

Here is another item from the same printer pass. I made these up in an effort toward creating a true-to-scale wheel/insert.
They fit inside the smaller Pro-Track sized rim. Again these are unfinished 'first pass' pieces, but so far I threw on some paint and they are looking the part. The tires are smaller hub Paul Gage pieces.

I put a little primer on it.

PRIMED FOR ACTION-

Still no bodywork - I just put some paint on it and let it sit way up high on the chassis for now ("the arms aren't drawn in yet").
I can see the inserts, and the overall look, and using the 'imagination ray' I can almost see where this is going if I squint my eyes just right.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!