3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:10 pm

First off - I made a New Year's resolution to create a car with 3D printing - I felt the future has been here for a few years now, and it was time to get involved with this technology...

I drew up an accurate chassis of a Vintage Modified that ran Islip Speedway back in late 60s, early 70s.

VINTAGE CHEVY BASED MODIFIED CHASSIS-

These "top hat" cross-section vintage Chevy frames were really well represented in the Big Block Modifieds of that place, and that place in time.

LOOKS TOUGH FROM ANY ANGLE-

Using some pics I had taken over the years along with some basic knowledge of these cars and I was able to put together something in virtual space.

THE JARZOMBEK COUPE CHASSIS PRINTED-

This is the first try, but I was really pleased with how well it looked right out of the box.

VINTAGE MODIFIED 3D PRINTED-

Of course I had to add elements to accommodate slot car running gear - you can see some of this from the underside.

FROM IMAGINATION TO RTR-

I had to beat it up right away, and so I did - learning stuff as I go - now I am ready for prototype version 1.1.

I have a 1935 Coupe Body and a 1937 Chevy Coupe Body ready to go as well.

I think the end game here will be to offer a proper RTR 1/32 Vintage Modified to like minded folks... and any scale is just a command away - something weird like 1/28? no problem...

So far, so good - The latest scratch building technology is working - I can make unique one-of-a-kind items going forward.
Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Re: 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe 3D Printed

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:19 pm

This might be the coolest, most interesting thing I have seen this technology used for.

Well done. I admire your skills in this effort. Regardless if you like the style, just to see this come to life like this is pretty impressive to me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 pm

I agree with Harry! Very impressive!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby btaylor » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm

I know I want one!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby CVGshadow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:25 pm

What model 3D printer?
CVGshadow

Postby turbokev » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Wow! Best use of 3d printing for the slot world yet.
I'm really interested to see how the bodies will attach etc and how
durable these will be once the hard racing starts.

Also wondering what sort of price point to get w printed chassis.

Watching this progress with much interest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pastor bubba » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm

That is way cool and confuses the heck out of me. I don't know anything about 3D printing but that makes a wicked slot car chassis.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm

That is absolutely amazing! A perfect blend of modeling and slot car building. There's plenty of room for a fully detailed engine and an interior tray with driver. If and when you can do this for the dirt big block cars up thru the Gremlin and Falcon bodies era sign me up for a dozen chassis and bodies so I can replicate the golden days at Orange County, Nazareth, and Grandview Speedways.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 pm

W O W !!!! :scared-eek:

That is SWEET!!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby bobbyraz49 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Freaking AMAZING !!!
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for all the response - I think it is pretty cool also - it strikes me that almost anything is possible.

HomeRacingWorld:
I had been putting this off but I can see this has a lot of possibilities - so far it looks good.

CVGshadow:
I used a service bureau - I figured they will have better equipment than a consumer or prosumer would, and for now I am focusing on testing the tech in general.

Turbokev:
The bodies are really coming along, and I have to work out fit, but in this case I am leaning to a more scale model approach rather than the tough "commercial track" mentality of the 'nymodifieds.com' brass chassis builds. I am not there yet, and I think the price point can work, but for me now it is a hobby effort.

pastor bubba:
I know - it is hard to get my mind around also - this chassis is one single piece of plastic - there really is no way that can be built in any other way.
Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:54 am

Slothead:
Thanks - that is always a challenge - balancing the form and function - modeling and slot car building. I am of the same mind here, for me I would want to replicate all the asphalt Modifieds from the Golden Era (1968-74?) here on Long Island, and from New York, and New England.

Again thanks to all for the positive comments - I will update this as I go along...
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Audi1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Those chassis look great! Agree with everyone else; best use of 3D printing I've seen so far for slot cars.
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm

:o
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 pm

A couple of thoughts and questions.

There probably weren't enough meaningful differences between dirt and asphalt chassis from this era to warrant unique designs. If there were competing chassis among the ranks at Riverside and you opted to replica a few, dirt fans would likely find options that worked just fine for our builds. The plastic or resin bodies I see builders using for cars from this era seem to be universal, giving everyone more choices overall.

I could happily use your chassis and find a body to recreate Buzzie Reutimann's famous #00 car that raced at dirt tracks all over the northeast from the 60's into the early 70's.

Questions: what is the wheelbase of the chassis shown in your post, and would it be easy to print slight variations (say 3" to 3.5")? What about having a holder for a front axle tube that can be adjusted or glued in place as needed to accommodated different wheel and tires sizes? Also, are you finding the motor mount to be strong enough to be able to overcome torque twisting, vibrations, and cracking? Many plastic motor pods secure motors at each end to fix them in place.

Lastly, rather than an RTR version I'd like a kit that came with chassis, bushings & axles, and perhaps a default motor, gears, and guide. (I use a the same Parma or Champion guide as shown on your chassis on all my custom built dirt cars and love them on my oval, but they are too big for some plastic tracks.)

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!