[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: 3D Printed 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe

Postby strangebrew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:01 pm

:o :o OUTSTANDING Great work on the body shell.....
I know somebody who would love to buy some of those inserts :whistle:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sixtiesracer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Never mind wow,how about "EurekAlert!!
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Do you have or need the dimensions for inside of the CB Design wheels? The inserts are great, and sure would be nice to have them for the wheels I use.

Outstanding work so far.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby pastor bubba » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm

I have a feeling that you will have a number of orders when you are ready.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 pm

This is just amazing.. I really appreciate the amount of effort you are putting in to the modifieds.
I love the mix of vintage race car, made available by the latest 3D print technology..
It's a work of art in my eyes..

I also love seeing how the wheel inserts come out.. I love what the resin casters have done for us
who like to model things, but I can see these 3D printed parts, like chassis and wheel inserts, being
hugely attractive as well.. You can get more 'precise' in the parts you are making in the computer drawing
then just print them as needed.. Drivers, spectators, motors, air cleaners, radiators.. Lots of great applications!
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:26 pm

That is looking SWEET!!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:59 am

That body looks great! I would be tempted to build this car.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:48 am

Rich, where is that museum?
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sixtiesracer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:38 am

Pawtucket Rhode island.pronyne. motorsports museum.
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the interest and comments - This project is getting fun. I see some real creative potential as I navigate all the tech.

HomeRacingWorld - Yes I have some of those CB wheels available on hand - and it would be easy to make these to size and depth as needed. My feeling was there were already inserts out there for those wheels, but no one has done the ProTrack hub size yet. This goes back to the earlier posts about actual arithmetical 1:32 scale rims etc.

Also these ProTrack sized pieces would work nicely in the brass/laminated nymodifieds which often run the foam ProTracks - so they can be offered to the guys I race with, and those kinds of builders...

What would be your ideal CB wheel to design for? The 15 by 10?

turbokev - Yes I have been modeling some of those pieces - I will have to show/post them up. So far I am very pleased with the quality. In retrospect I am glad I made the New Year's resolution to get a 3D slot car built. Now I just have to get moving on it a bit - so far it has just been a hobby/diversion.

RichD - The Woodchopper Special would be a very short walk to take from the Charlie Jarzombek Coupe I am modeling. I could easily change a few bars around the chassis and the end user could hog the windows slightly and they would be *there*. To my mind Bugsy's #15 is one of the *iconic* Modifieds of the era, so it would make an excellent subject for modeling.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby ccobra » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Wow, you really upped the bar on that build. Now you got my interest going again for another 3D print myself. Isn't it really satisfying to see one of you builds scoot around the track before you even have it completed? I also have fun in running a FEA analysis on the frame and then add gussets to strengthen the weak points. Recently I've been playing around with the CG button in the CAD program to make the chassis handle even better once it's off the printer and assembled for the track. Again, Nice build you have there.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby choc-ice » Sun May 10, 2015 12:44 am

choc-ice
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:47 pm

ccobra -

I build these just like I approach a scratch built slot car, or even a drawing; more art than engineering I suppose.

I don't compute center-of-gravity, center-of-mass or run any analysis or anything. I think if I build some purpose built racing chassis I may focus more on engineering. But yes, you are right, there is a particular satisfaction in this kind of build.

I am really enjoying working in 3D, but I haven't done that much on this build since I last posted.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby turbokev » Wed May 13, 2015 3:28 pm

I can't even express how cool I think this is.. What a fantastic looking car so far.

I love that you are taking the 3D printing thing to the next level.. accurate tubed chassis that accommodate bearings and motors etc is a great step in making even more realistic modifieds available to people to build. The body looks more than good enough for slot use.. really smooth with a layer of paint on it~

Please consider some wheel inserts for CBD wheels as well.. the 3d printed versions come out so much more 'crisp'.
You could do some slotted mags as well.. maybe even Trans Am wheels down the road..

Great work~!
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!