H&R Lightning motor in Carrera Willys

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

H&R Lightning motor in Carrera Willys

Postby Burglar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Has anyone done this swap? Is it worth it for drag racing? I have one spare floating around and wondering if I should put it into a Willys with a tall gear ratio. I am wondering too how to go about that. The 8/30 combination would give me 3.75, then the smaller diameter tyres (15x11 with PGT-22126 22mm diameter tyre instead of standard 23.5mm diameter) would make the ratio a little steeper. I figure this should get me up into the 40K motor's rev range quicker, right?

Anyone had any experience fitting this 30 tooth crown to a Carrera chassis? Any issues? Is this a silly combination?
Burglar

Re: H&R Lightning motor in Carrera Willys

Postby rjdadrf@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 pm

i have not done this swap, yet.
in drag racing you go for speed or e.t. with the 8/30 combo you should get out of the hole real quick.
i run on a 66 foot track, with this combo you will hear the motor start slowing down about half track.
my best run was with a 10/34 combo on 66feet.
this car was totaled at the end of this run. please keep me posted on your combo.
rjdadrf@yahoo.com

Re: H&R Lightning motor in Carrera Willys

Postby Burglar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 am

Sounds like something I should test without the body shell on at first!

I don't know if this chassis would fit a 34 tooth crown ... a 8/28 would be close to a 10/34.

I will also use taller tyres, which will affect things somewhat. Basically with the tyres I figure the taller and softer the better, if the physics of 1:1 drag cars translate to 1/32
Burglar

Return to Holeshot Alley!