[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Thunder Slot Lola T70 MKIII Review

Thunder Slot Lola T70 MKIII Review

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Thunder Slot Lola T70 MKIII Review

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:34 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Thunder Slot Lola T70 MKIII Review

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:29 pm

Wow! What a great looking slot car?

My first instinct was to check the scale. This is easily done by comparing the wheelbase on the 1:1 car and dividing by 32. It works out to less than a mm difference. A purist would also check length, height and width the same way, but I didn't do that. The Fly version of this car always seemed big to me, but having never seem one in real life, maybe it was big compared to say a Ford GT, that was really also a Lola.

The one thing I really wondered about was whether Ernie Mosetti had any hand in the design of this car. I had heard that his next MRSlotcar would be a Lola, and the chassis of this car has more than a passing similarity to the MR McLaren's, especially around the front end. If Ernie was not involved, then Thunderslot has scooped him on this one. My McLaren is my fastest car, and I expect these would be right up there.

I look forward to seeing more offerings from this company.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Another great review Harry, a lot of information.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:46 am

Thank you for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive review for HRW readers. Much appreciated!

:text-thankyouyellow:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 am

Great review Harry! Thanks!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby goosenapper » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:06 am

My red car is a lot less shiny than Harry's example. I don't know if it's the lighting in his shots or the luck of the draw, but mine is more matte finish than glossy- a lot like a Le Mans Miniatures paintjob, which is a great thing in my opinion.

A 1.3mm hex hex driver will work to get those torx screws undone, so you don't have to buy a new tool specifically for this car.

Between the body screws and motor pod, this car has more float built in to it than any to come before it. The utilized shaft screws allow for a great degree of unhindered movement.

I ran mine on Scalextric Sport, and the pointy guide will click in the joints unless they are as snug as can be. Most cars don't care whether track joints are fully or partially seated, but it makes a huge difference to this Lola. I even had one occurrence of the rear of the car jolting slightly in the air as the guide got caught up on a joint, so take care to check that track joints are snug prior to running on plastic. It wouldn't hurt to run a flat-head screw-driver around your slot regardless of track material before running the car, as any foreign object in the path of that guide is going to cause an issue.

I agree that the stock motor is fantastic, and the unsanded stock tires grip the Sport pretty doggone good, so I'm in no hurry to replace those. A lot of cars fishtail like the Duke Boys are behind the wheel when driven stock and without magnets, but this one is very controllable.

It's an interesting business model: offering a car that drives well enough as-is, but building in areas for upgrade pieces to be installed. Essentially that gives the consumer a chance to experience the car in stock form, and then teases them with the wonderment of what the add-on parts could possibly do to improve performance. Racers looking for that .01 edge will undoubtedly be drawn in by it, while parade lappers like me are satisfied enough with the stock car. In this way, Thunderslot is able to appeal from everyone from carpet-runners to Blue King champions.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Thank you guys for the feedback. It's nice to see.

And Mr. Goose... :text-goodpost:

That kind of field report is what we need and is solid gold to enthusiasts.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HRWJim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Great review Harry. Look forward to running this car. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Wow!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:40 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 am

Good report. I was wondering how soon someone would just do a wheel swap.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SuperSlab » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:13 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:25 am

Agree with that. This past weekend we did battle and the same thoughts were echoed. It's truly difficult to dislike the model as it just runs so smoothly.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to Product Reviews!