Scalextric Ford Daytona Prototype

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Re: Scalextric Ford Daytona Prototype

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Ok you are welcome and thank you, glad it helps.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Harry, the Scalex icon is not working under review archive. Top of page
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you Tony.

Fixed it :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Slot GT » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 pm

Just a quick side note on the QC of this car that I bought. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I took my car out of it's display box, there was an immediate rattle from something inside the car. Before placing it on the track I took it apart and found that the driver figure had separated from his seat and was rolling around freely inside the chassis. The glue was used was visible on the seat so it had originally been glued but came loose at some point in the process. I took out the interior and re-glued him to his seat. At this point since I had it open I looked over the chassis and the rear axle/bushings had not been seated in their holders. I also noticed that if I had just snapped the axle back in the wires from the taillights would be in contact with the gears. So I moved the wires to a safer spot where they wouldn't come in contact with the rear axle or gears and then snapped the rear axle back into place. Next up was a closer look at the body and I noticed that the rear wing was crooked. I was able to carefully snap the rear wing back onto it's support and it was level again. Things looked good at that point so after the glue had dried to hold the driver in place I screwed the body back on placed the car on the track to a few practice laps with it. I pulled the controller trigger and to my amazement the car went backwards. Take it apart again to reverse the wiring and finally I have a car that runs properly.

Now for me, the fixes were easy because I knew what to do but I should be able to take that car out of the box, put it on the track and go. Had I been the average guy just getting into the hobby and not knowing what all these problems were and how to fix them, I would be have been very dissapointed with the product. The car looked rushed out of the factory.

One other note about that unseated rear axle. This was also the case with my Javelin when I first placed it on the track. The car wouldn't move and it wasn't at first clear that the axle wasn't in place. A closer look from behind showed the axle at an angle and another opening of the car and seating of the axle was required.

I'm loving these new cars but my 2 quality experiences with these 2 new cars have not been up to par.
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ReadingRich » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:12 am

I got mine yesterday along with a few other cars. I absolutely love it. I only have two issues. It didn't like the figure of eight layout we had set up last night and less of a issue and more of a niggle and that's the front wheels keep spinning even when it's stopped.
ReadingRich

A Flyer!!!!

Postby SuperSlab » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 am

OK, I will admit: the subject line was a bit of a play on the previous line of DP cars brought out by Fly (their "Flyers" line).

But other than the fact that it flies this car has little.... make that "Nothing"... in common with the Fly cars. With a bit of work it is a rocket ship! OK, make that quite a bit of work. My efforts with this was:

* Glued & trued some PGT's on the rears
* Braced the rear of the chassis. And now I will admit: I never even ran the car straight out of the box so my motivation for bracing it was that I took it in hand and "thought" that there was too much movement in the critical motor to rear axle area. So I epoxied in some brass square tubing.
* Sanded away some chassis material as I found there was still a fair bit of body/chassis interference that inhibited body float.
* Smooth shank SCC body SCCrews
* Added about 7g of thin lead sheet under the chassis

And off to the races.

And wow: what a lovely surprise! The track we mainly race on (Luf's Targa) has individual power supplies on each lane so motor power (or lack of same) is not an issue: you can just adjust the voltage to suit the needs (and abilities!) of each car. The Scaley DP could comfortably handle 12V. Once on the track it was immediately apparent that this is A Nice Car. VERY nice actually! Smooth and rock, rock solid on the track. And it helps that it looks good as well. I must admit that I am a bit of a sucker for lights: obviously a personal preference kind of thing but I think it just adds that little bit to the look of the car going around the track.

Initially there was a bit of gear noise: not bad but just enough to be noticeable. But as the laps mounted it got more and more quiet (or is that quieter and quieter?). At the end of the evening it was very quiet and very smooth and incredibly easy to drive fast.

How fast? I find the best yardstick that I have is to compare the lap times I get with a car to the times achieved by recent proxy cars: these are generally a somewhat known quantity to people and can give people at least a rough indication of how good/quick a car is. With the DP I ended up with a best lap of 6.980 seconds. This is similar to my Slot.it McLaren M8D and a couple of Slot.it Ford GT's and not far off my NSR Ford GT Mk IV and one of my NSR Porsche 917's. So when I say it is quick, I mean it is Quick with a capital Q!

As for my proxy yardstick: not one of the cars in the recent Ford-Ferrari proxy was able to achieve a better Q time than this! Best Q for this group of cars was a 7.103 second lap. And only one car (Chris Walker's fantastic Slot.it GT40) managed a better time during racing! I was able to get a 6.888 out of that. ONE other car (Smokeio's GT40) was able to do a lap under 7.2 seconds (7.117) in the race, so this gives you an idea of how very good the Scaley's lap time is. For those of you that have not had the good fortune to drive a car prepared by Chris W or Smokeio: these guys are magicians! So any car that gets lap times in the same general vicinity as one of their cars is a good car. A VERY good car! I think the dimensions of the DP car (wide, low, bit longer) gave it an advantage to most of the cars int he proxy. But still.

Would the average person do the bracing of the chassis? Likely not. Is it really critical to do that? Unfortunately I do not know as I did not run it "unbraced". Does the average person take the trouble to properly glue and true tyres? Unlikely as well. So the work I did on the car is likely at least somewhat beyond what most people would do. But I think it amply demonstrates the potential of the car with not a huge amount of work.

Colour me impressed!

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Product Reviews!