Monogram Petty Plymouth!

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Re: Monogram Petty Plymouth!

Postby dc6287 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Just ordered this car. Can't wait to get it, as it's akward being the only guy w/ a Carrera in a field of monograms... but that's a story for another time!

Dan C.
dc6287
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, this is a great thread. Thought I would chime back in with my car fully tuned.

Performed all the mods I show in the tune up article. Used the silver SCC Steelies with PG21105 tires. Painted the wheels with Krylon silver and also the fronts to make them match.

I buffed it with Johnson paste wax to clean it up a bit and help protect the decals.

Yes, my mods are little extreme...but they get the car to run the way I like it to on the wood.

Seeing this car haulin' around is a great sight. We needed the King and we got him, I'm pretty darned happy.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Lookin' good Boss.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am

I continue to work over my #43 Plymouth and am very pleased with it thus far. I pretty much followed Harry's tune up article with the exception that I have not replaced the braids and wires yet and I stayed with the stock axle set up. I did lower the rear of the body a tad, just enough to make her level. I did the super glue trick to the axle, sanded the stock tires (rounded the edges of the tires too) added a big haunch of brass plate at the bottom of the chassis. Otherwise she is Monogram stock. She definitely is a winner.
Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 am

Looks good to me :)

I smell a HRW FunRun Proxy coming.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Well, now I've got the bug. I just ordered the Holman Moody/ David Pearson Fairlane. Now there is a historic duo.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 am

I am almost enjoying you having a new oval as much as you are :)

it might be that all these roundy-rounders that have been laying around here will get more and more track time.

If you need any help at all with the car, I will be glad to assist. But I think you know exactly what to do.

Look forward in hearing your garage report after you wrench on it some more.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I think the Chinese have resorted to having gorillas assemble these things. I've had 2 with bent axles on these - but now I'm seeing it on 2 Scalextric cars as well. Completely bent rear axles. Can't wait to see what you end up with when it is all together.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 pm

....The boss questioned me about this car when I took it out of the package from Bruce the other day....

She wanted to know why I had so many of the "one car" in my rev/mono/Carrera Stocker collection (Sky Blue colour)

I sat down and showed her that they were indeed all different, and explained that the blue is Petty Blue.

My world once more became tranquil....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 pm

David I toss the rear axle out on these if I plan to race them. Quite a few come with bent spurs. I need to get back to my Hurtubise project. The main thing that annoys me is warps in the chassis, because straightening them is messy and involves a lot of stuffing around. Replacing axles is expensive but not too difficult, and changing the wheels to SCC makes a huge difference. Up front I always replace the guide on these for a screw-fit one, but I think that the main thing is to get rid of those awful braids and get the guide closer to the track. I also like to swap the motor out for one with better braking, as I do a lot of 'Riverside racing' and I don't want my car bounding off the track in the corners like AJ Foyt did that time
Burglar

Previous

Return to Product Reviews!