[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - SRC Ford Capri 2600 RS

SRC Ford Capri 2600 RS

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

SRC Ford Capri 2600 RS

Postby ListerStormGT » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 am

When I first saw pictures of this car I knew I wanted to get one. I have a weakness for cars that have flared out fenders but not only that, it also is a car that Jacki Stewart drove. It has been awhile since I did a review on a car and since there has not been one on this car yet I thought I would give it try.

There are a lot of the same issues on this car as (goosenapper) had on the SRC Porsche 907 upon receiving it.
The packaging the car comes in is nice but also a bit of overkill. The car sits inside a plastic case within a thin plastic sleeve with graphics and a cardboard sleeve with images of the real car along with car, race and driver info which is all shrink wrapped to finish off the packaging.

The first issue I noticed before opening was the left rear wheel was too far up inside the body, so I immediately thought the axle bushing was out of the chassis. More on that later.

Upon opening the car the detail and finish was excellent, this is the detail we all became used to seeing with the old Fly cars.

The markings are crisp and clean, the paint and clear coat are very good and you can see a mile into the finish.

The interior detail is also done very good. It is a full interior tray with a full driver figure and you can clearly see the painted gauges on the dash and their is a fire extinguisher on the passenger floor. The driver has markings on his helmet which I feel is a nice touch for detail.

The detail on the wheels are nicely done. They are plastic wheels and it looks like the centers are gold photo etched inserts. The wheels are round and true and I didn't find any flashing upon removing the tires from any of the wheels. The tires on the other hand seem to be a nice compound but they have seams in the middle of the treads.

Chassis is pretty plain but does have a nice exhaust detail that actually is a complete separate piece attached to the chassis and not just molded in and painted. The inside has the lead wires neatly routed to the guide and has a bar magnet in font of the motor, and just like the 907 review that is where the good things end for the car.

Lets start off with the rear axle issue I stated earlier, just like I had guessed the axle bushings had came loose from the chassis. I am assuming this is just a QC problem and the cars that come with them loose like this came this way from the factory. When I looked the car over before opening, the space between the rear wheels and the base were far enough apart where this would not be the reason to pop the axle loose even during shipping.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the spring loaded guide. It just has too much up and down free play, and even with the weight of the car it still allows the front end of the car to sit too high. I will most likely replace it with a Slot It guide. The copper braids are very stiff also which doesn't help the guide issue either.

Another big issue with this car just like stated in the 907 review is the motor and how loose it is inside the chassis. I cant think of any other slot car I have had that had a motor sit so loosely in the chassis. I'm surprised it stays in place and doesn't pop out under acceleration. I plan on replacing the motor with a M/T-1 anyway but a small bead of hot glue would be a easy fix to keep the motor from moving.

The last issue on the car is I noticed that the chassis wasn't sitting correctly on the track and the right front wheel was off the ground. I immediately thought the chassis was warped but upon closer inspection it was the chassis not sitting right inside the body. The interior tray is binding with the chassis on the drivers side and not letting the the chassis sit flush with the body. Also one of the back body posts were stripped out as the screw must have been overtightened at the factory.

On the track in stock form the car ran pretty decent until I reached the turns. This is where the guide issue really becomes apparent, the spring in the guide keeps it so far down the car will actually spin around 180 degrees because the guide stops don't hit the chassis because the guide sits so low. My track is routed so I cant comment on the magnet strength or how that effects the car on plastic track but on my wood track I think the car has a lot of potential but it will need a few fixes first. Its nothing terrible as most of us wood guys need to tune any car to suit our tracks.

I purchased this car from Power Slotcars for $59.99 and for the detail it has I think its a fair price but I also think for that price they should have better QC and I would like to see them at the very least put in brass bushings on the rear axle. With that said, it is a beautiful car and the attention to detail is nicely done. Whether it is worth the price with the above mentioned issues is something you will have to decide for yourself. I like the car and plan on picking up the other Ford Capri 2600 LV 24Hrs Le Mans 1973 for a running mate. They are a Trans Am type looking car and they will fit nicely into my field of cars. Hopefully some of you will find this little review helpful, I am no pro at reviews like others but I wanted to share what I thought about this model. I will end it with a couple more pictures on the track.

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: SRC Ford Capri 2600 RS

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Great job Lee, thanks for this!~
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:26 pm

The car tempts me for the same reasons Lee wanted it, though I am a bit disappointed by the price.

I never have figured out how cars get into a sealed container with the axles dislodged or even bent, as with Nincos. I've seen wheel hubs cracked, axles bent, all kinds of stuff, all inside a sealed box with a factory rep claiming it just couldn't happen. As Lee says, it has to be Quality Control at the factory. Dislodged axle bushings are no big deal, just spooky, but when they are bent, wheels cracked, or even a jammed spur gear, something's wrong. This situation, as Lee says, is no big deal, but it makes you wonder how on earth it could happen. I wonder if a plastic bushing that is not quite pushed home could pop back out with a slight jarring to the box after the box has been sealed.

Thanks for doing this, Lee. Good pictures, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby scatman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Lee, nice review. This car is on my list, and now it has moved up some.

Thanks
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm

thanks Lee been eyeing off this car in pictures but didn't know anything about the quality or build - will be ordering one soon me thinks - it looks great and has potential to be tuned nicely

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks for the detailed look at this car. It's funny that you mention the packaging as "overkill." The outer plastic sleeve and cardboard have just been sitting on the corner of my desk since I unboxed the Porsche. Sure, I keep the car in the case, but the case's case just feels too fragile to handle repeated opening and closing. I’m sure that it only exists to entertain SRC’s targeted collector market.

As bad as these car's QC seems to be, at least they give us a chassis that is fairly easy to finagle in to something that resembles a slick runner. It may take a lot of steps to get there, but nothing extreme (dremmel, dynamite) needs to be done. (I’m speaking for Scalextric Sport- wood is probably totally different.)

The optimist in me wants to believe that the issues with the Capri and 907L out of the box are just a result of a new (or newly renamed ;) ) company's growing pains, and that everything will eventually be sorted out on future releases.

The realist in me knows that this is probably the best that we can expect from SRC- good looking cars on the surface, but dogs out of the box. As long as we know this going in, and limit dropping $60+ on these cars to only those releases that truly speak to us, then perhaps we won't feel quite as disappointed when the car hits the track. In fact, any future SRC's that I purchase will probably undergo a thorough scutineering before they even see the rails.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 am

I'll be honest, I won't hold my breath for better quality control. We've seen Fly's philosophy in action, and we're talking about one of Fly's main guys running SRC.

For 60 bucks, it's about the same price as a new Slot.It. 10 years ago, Fly cost about as much as a new Slot.It. So, no worries from me price-wise, and the fixes look easy. I also like cars because of the drivers and the history, and being a Stewart fan and knowing how few Francois Cevert cars have been done, this car is high on the list. Cevert was killed in '73 at Watkins Glen while teamed with Stewart at Tyrrell, so a Stewart/Cevert car has that historical element that I really like.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 am

You are welcome guys, I'm glad you found it helpful, thanks for all the comments. :)

As Kurt said, the history of the drivers and car make it worth the $60 price tag (for me anyway) not to mention the great detail. I was not trying to bash SRC for the issues but just trying to make them known for others to know what to expect. I look at it as typical classic Fly cars and for those of us that have had there cars from the last 5-10yrs we all know they all need a little work. Nothing on this car is a serious issue that cannot be fixed with just a couple small adjustments/improvements that only take a few minutes. Yes better QC would be nice but I wont be holding my breath on that either. It is still a nice car that hasn't been done by anyone else.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrAdept » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Mine came with one of the rear wheels tucked up inside.
Under the car - glued to the base is a piece of plastic that I assume is supposed to prevent the chassis from dropping far enough to pop the bearing out. It doesn't seem to be tall enough though.

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Excellent review. I now have purchased 6 of these cars so far (I imagine that surprises no one!) and had exactly the same issue with the rear bushing on two. I have to assume it is in the assembly process. Both cars also came with broken plastic screws that attach the car to the base during shipping which allowed the cars to rattle around during shipping. Again, an assembly issue. Possibly the same employee?

My track is a fairly technical Scalextric Sport layout. I had no issues with the guide design at all, and I find the cars are extremely smooth. Overall, right out of the box they Are just slightly slower than the Racer Sideways Capri, pretty evenly matched to the Fly Racing Capri and faster than the Fly front engine and Carrera Capri's.

The chassis seems both light and rugged, and is flat and simple enough that I imagine the digital guys will have no issue chipping them

Get them while you can, I'm hearing there is not going to be a large run of these cars. And for all of you Stewart fans, the next one is the bubble flared version shared by Stewart and Fittipaldi.

I look forward to using them in next year's Pony car and CanAm proxy's, it will be nice to have a mass produced Capri body and a decent chassis replacing my MRRC chassis/resin body entries.

Don M
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Sat May 04, 2013 7:12 pm

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ElSecundo » Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Good news, the SRC Alfas arrived. Absolutely beautiful, great finish, and a trace of hop out of the box. The car tracks well, though, so there's a lot of potential for a quick car here. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby cgingras » Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Got mine also today. Great looking and it's running very smooth out of the box, absolutely nothing done on it. With a little work, those cars will probably be very very good runners. Only small problem: out of the 5 cars I got, one was not attached to the base anymore. When will they learn that a plastic protection inside the crystal case is the best way to avoid that? Or a longer metal screw?
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby balsaworks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

Just received this SRC Capri, a limited edition comissioned by H+T Racing in Germany. Pretty car - nice lines, and a simple but striking livery that complements and enhances shape of the body.
balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!