[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric 412P

Scalextric 412P

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Scalextric 412P

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:42 am

We will get right to the obvious subject: This is the same P4 we first saw about 13 years ago. It is simply painted to mimic the car driven by Attwood and Piper at Brands Hatch '67.

For the discerning enthusiast, there are subtle differences between the P4 and 412P. I won't go into them. If you know, then I don't have to tell you. If you DO NOT know, then research it on your own and learn a little more about these classic cars. It's actually fun for me.

And given the licensing restrictions, the model is of course void of any Ferrari logos.

Now, if it bothers you...then you will simply pass this model up. I certainly cannot blame you.
However, what at first bothered me about this car was replaced with a smile. The reason? Well, just brought back good memories.

It was about 13? years ago about this time of year when we saw the first release. I remember how some loved it, while of course others cursed it. Nothing has changed over the years has it? Of course this car was never perfect. Then again neither was the high dollar Racer version. As usual, it did not stop most of us simple home racers from buying it.

I remember many a battle with this car. Against itself and the Ford GT40 MKII. (more on that later). Perfect or not, we thrashed them all. Some might remember the "Sport" versions as well :whistle:

This car is nice looking, albeit a bit lighter on the red than one might expect. No matter, it is what it is.

Yes, it's the same car. Sidewinder all the way. The guide has changed to the current version though. Not much travel to it as is the norm. I can swap it a LOT easier today than I could back then! :dance:

Don't forget to remove those two smaller (cursed) screws to remove the interior. You might lose them like many did, or thought you did. Until you found it stuck to the magnet! :)

The only change is just the newer standard motor. So really, no change. 11/36 gearing as expected.

So no changes in drivetrain means? Yeah...that means the original wheels.

I had to get a little deep into The Abyss to get these. I don't like it in there...it's dark. You will want urethane in my opinion because you will need to sand to true them. I would start with the wheels as usual.
Funny. Back then we had no Tire Razor, etc. Oh sure some had versions from Germany, Italy...but rare as an honest thief. Today I can really work this old classic over :)

So for me? It's a fun trip back in time. With the new MKII right with it, just like back then. Instead of beating it up over it's faults, I ended up with a grin.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Scalextric 412P

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

Nice to see the classic come back in a new livery. These are still fun to thrash around the track especially with the GT40s.

And for those who don't like the shape..... it's pretty dang close to right on. When I was working on a P3 version to print, I used the exact prototype measurements....and what popped out was exactly like the Scaley P4 / 412P. So it's really a good model too, from the body perspective.

Then I widened it and flattened it a little....but that's another story ;)
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby edmagner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

As I have said in a couple other threads, surprised and disappointed that this is not DPR ready....just assumed it was, should have looked more closely first. Still a very cool car.

Ed
edmagner

Postby GRUNZ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Good to see you reviewing these.
I got into slotcar 4 years ago so I have missed all these releases.
I have mentioned that I might plan to do a digital Ford vs Ferrari class at my digital club.
How does it compare with the ford GT?
I have both new releases with my next order.
Thus if you could do a comparison would be great.
Does the ford gt get the same tyres as the P4? Any other alternatives for PG tyres?

thanks
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:33 pm

I like that. But not digital ready. But they did add lights. And changed the guide. Not digital ready.
*sigh*

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 pm

I might be wrong but I do not see any issue in digitalising this car.
The new release of the gt40 seems to have the DPR hatch.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:16 pm

It doesn't have the DPR hatch so you will need to use the C7005 Retro-Fit Digital Chip A. Looks to be a straight forward install but not as easy as a DPR ready model.

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm

For the digital plug and play folks, yes it's unfortunate.

Not making excuses, but in order to do that would have meant a whole new mold for the chassis and interior. The cost for doing so is of course why.

But I have seen many guys on here install the boards regardless of chassis. So if the car is that important, I am sure people will find a way.

Grunz, I do plan a comparison. These cars were pretty close back then, although the Ford seemed to have an edge. Depending on track, magnet, etc.

The tires are different sizes.

The GT40 will take the Paul Gage 21104, where the 412/P4 has the tire shown. Different wheel.

The GT40 has the Quick Slicks silicones #SC16 that fit great.

For the match up I am doing, it's PG. Since there is no silicone for that 412P/4 wheel. That car was a long time ago and only a few were made. So not many made a tire for that wheel.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

One of my favorite cars.Got mine today..We removed the mag and having some fun on the ol' Revell track..Looks like it is at home on that track toooooo...Yes one can tune it for better results,but she runs decent out of the box for me.Thanks for the review Harry..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 pm

You are welcome Sir Rusty!

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby WB2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:08 pm

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 am

As I said, being not DPR is not a problem for us doing digital.
However, scalex has modified the Gt40 to accept the DPR hatch.
This is a link from the other forum where a member has done a comparison between the old and new GT40:

(Image courtesy of Dopamine)

Not only scalex have changed the chassis but also modified the interior.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 am

Having grown up in the '60's, for me there has never been a better looking race car than the 330/P4. Rebranded as a 412P is no problem for me. Now, if Ferrari would loosen up on their licensing policy and let Sideways, Slot.It or Scaleauto do a 330/P4...…….well...……..

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 am

mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 am

Policar has a 330/P4 in the works.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!