[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera F1 Cars

Carrera F1 Cars

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Carrera F1 Cars

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:53 pm

"Just wanting to try something new."

That is my excuse for choosing these models from Carrera. Even though modern F1 is not the most popular series in our home racing, the truth is we can have fun racing just about anything.
Including F1. I do not claim to be an expert on the 1:1 series and I likely never will. Yet I do not think you have to be to enjoy a good slot car. So every once in awhile I like to try a new version of them to see how they are and hopefully the deliver the fun I expect.

I chose Carrera due to the budget-friendly price along with how attractive they appeared in the photos while I shopped. Pretty simple way to do it right? Because of the low price I decided to grab two. Most times I am racing solo but there is always those times when friends arrive or my teen-age son feels like a race.

My first impressions of these models were very favorable. Some say presentation is everything and if that is true, Carrera scores high in that category. The box art is really eye catching and will make for nice viewing in the old race room.

Out of the box they look even better. The overall fit and finish is about as good as it gets in our hobby. The paint work is very well done and the gloss clear coat on them really shines.
For the scale purists I am sure you will find issues here and there. Perfect? No. Close enough for me? Yes. Close enough for the crowd I race with? Yes. I want scale accuracy as much as the next enthusiast, but nothing is ever perfect. Fact is I am not that hard to please. I do not lose sleep over slight curvature issues or if it is accurate to the thousands of an inch in scale.

Chassis were evenly matched. They have a slimline motor geared with a 8 tooth onion and 27 tooth crown gear. More than enough power for me.

The guide is mounted pretty far back, but they work ok. No, not an ideal location really but that is where they felt they needed to be. To modify these is more work than I care to do. I'll run them as is.

Dual bar magnets, mid section and rear. There is a pressure fit bracket to remove to get to to the middle magnet. There is a shim there as well to adjust it slightly.

The rear has a cover over it. You just push in the tab and it pops out.

They ran pretty well out of the box. Need tire change and some truing, but no surprises. Very smooth as usual. The guide placement makes the action a little odd, but I settled in fast enough.

Overall i'm glad I picked them up. They look very good and will be easy enough to tune up for our simple racing. For the price it's hard to pass them up.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Carrera F1 Cars

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 am

Hey Harry, thanks for the review! It's tough to get out of the comfort zone every once in a while, but I know the F1 fans appreciate it. :)

We were just talking about these Carrera F1 cars Saturday night. When we race at Steve's (SADCO Racing on the board), it's kind of tradition to end the night driving open-wheel cars on his Scaley track at 16 volts. We've been doing it with the A1GP cars, but we've pretty much worn them out, and there are no replacements on the way. The Scaley F1 cars tend to be a little fragile for 16 volts, so we were thinking we might try Carrera F1 for those 16-volt blasts. Might be the perfect car for the job.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 am

You are welcome :)

Hey, how about I send them to your way and you guys can road test them?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks Harry, we'll be happy to test them for you! When we're done at 16 volts, do you just want us to send all the parts and shards back in a baggie? :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 am

LOL, ok...sounds good. Nothing Bibbster can't fix :)

I will send them out soon, I want the fellas to try them here first.

Speaking of that...check your PM
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 pm

I have a bunch of F-!'s bout time you gave it a try, I need a bigger slot box :doh:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Last edited by Florida_Slotter on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Quick pics of guide

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 pm

As promised: a few pictures of my guide modification

I cut the guide portion of an old unused chassis (cannot remember what it was...) and glued in place. Actually looking at it now in one respect it looks better than the original: it does not have that huge block of plastic between the cockpit and the front axle.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 am

Boy, there is not a lot of room for a traditional guide system, is there... Nice job making that work, SS!
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby GoBucks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Nice looking cars. Now wouldn't that be something to see a superhero like "Captain Carrera" convert a few of these into 1/24th scale "Marvels".
GoBucks

Postby DaveKennedy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 am

Cool review Harry. ;)
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Return to Product Reviews!