[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slotwings 512 BB

Slotwings 512 BB

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Slotwings 512 BB

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Slotwings 512 BB

Postby scatman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 pm

That was fast. Got my car today. She looks sweet.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I know you are very busy, but when you get a chance to look it over, it sure would be appreciated if you added your thoughts sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Interesting review and subject matter. Funny, but GB Track was what I was thinking. I do like the fact that they attempted to fix the wheels from rubbing - good to see they actually check their product.

As for the subject matter itself - with all of these available, it is an interesting choice. But then again, everyone makes a 99x Porsche, a Cx Corvette, and a WRX...

At $60, I guess it is the new $40...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby scatman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Harry, I'm headed to Blake's tomorrow to run some cars, I'll add it to the list.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks sir.

Yes David, thought it would remind some of that.

Not a bad car really. It's just a Flyslot...and we know what that usually means.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Jesla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 am

Wasn't it suppose to make it's own putt-putt noise? Or was I just in another drug induced haze ?.......
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:33 am

That is the new Porsche sir.

Pass it on man, no Bogarting.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:39 am

Another great honest review Harry, I was thinking of picking this one up and while I don't mind the tuning that the car needs, at $60 it kind of turns me off. Its a nice looking car though.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 am

I like this model. It really caught my eye from the first time I saw a picture of it a week or so ago. I am a sucker for bright red Ferraris and this one fills the bill. All of the Red Carrera liveries of this car have stripes or other contrasts of one color or another that takes away the "Redness" to my eye.

Another thing I like about this car is it's simplicity. I have one of the Carrera, European University version of the 512BB but like all Carrera's, the chassis complexity is WAY over done and for no good purpose other than for complexities sake as far as I can tell.

The larger detraction that I see to this car is the Racer version that is on the horizon. The Racer 512 BB will be only a few dollars more than this one but will be blindingly fast and easily tunable. So much so as to make the two cars will be in totally different leagues. Racer will make this car into the poor country cousin I am afraid just as the Racer DP's did to the Flyer versions that preceded them.

As for the,"Usable in most electrical commercial tracks of the market." I think that is just a matter of translation from Spanish into English. I think that their "commercial tracks of the market" simply translates to "brands" from an English speaker's point of view.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am

You are right. It likely is lost in translation. Just thought it was amusing.

Good comparison about the DP cars. That is 100% on target.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:28 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby scatman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Well Harry, ran some laps with the 512 today with Blake, and I will score it a 6 out 10. The rear tires need to be replaced of course, and the front axle play needs to be address. Pre-test, I used my Razor tire truer on the wheels and tires, and gave it a lube job. The car was stable and predictable, until my hot glue(deal with axle slop) under the front axle gave way. The car has potential with some aftermarket tires and some lead up front to keep the guide down.
I hope this helps.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks, good report!

I guess my sample is an isolated case with the guide binding. Good feedback, great stuff folks.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:57 pm

I decided to go ahead and pick this car up as I really like the 512 body style. Today I had time to really dig into this car and see what I could do to make it run better. All the things Harry mentioned in the review was true with mine also except my guide, it was tight but not tight as was mentioned in the review. When I received my car the screw post holding the car to the base had snapped and the screw portion was still in the chassis. As I heard rattling in the box before I opened it, this had me worried but luckily nothing was broken or got damaged bouncing around loose during shipping.

The first thing I noticed when I put the car on the track was the loud gear noise (nuts in a blender come to mind), second was the car bounced around like it was driving in a earthquake. So with that said here is the tuning I did today.

To try and quiet down the gear noise I put some rubbing compound on the gears and ran the car for a few minutes, then re coated them and did it again. This helped quite a bit, although not silent its a big improvement. I then turned my attention to the front axle and put in 2 set screws to get rid of the up and down play as it was too much in my opinion.
The other thing I noticed were the front wheels, when I removed the tires I saw that the wheels had little burrs on them that prevent the tires front sitting flat on the wheels. I took some 220grit sandpaper and sanded the center rib section of the wheels which removed the little burrs and smoother out the center rib of the wheels.
For the rear I used my tire Razor to sand the rear wheels because the rears also had the burr issues like the front. After that I did the rear tires on the Razor and by doing that it stopped the rubbing issue on the interior that Harry mentioned in the review. I glued in the rear bushings and put some oil in them. Put the car back on the track and now it runs really nice, no more bouncing or shaking and the gear noise is much quieter now. I knew the car had potential but just like any classic fly cars they need a little tuning, nothing major to make this a good running car. It never stopped us in the past and its a great looking car so it would be a shame not to take the time to get the most out of it.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Product Reviews!