[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot.it McLaren M8D

Slot.it McLaren M8D

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Slot.it McLaren M8D

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:20 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Slot.it McLaren M8D

Postby baford1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Harry one again you have delivered a great review very informative & good tips about the car & it is 1 very good looking car thanks Slot It
for bringing it out & hopefully there will be a lot more in this series

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:47 am

Great review Harry and great pictures to go with it as always.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:41 am

Harry,

One super review Sir! I think you put the essence of the Slot.It McLaren M8D into words that created an image in my mind that was crystal clear.

I had the experience of seeing, holding and running some laps with this particular fine example of a slot car from Slot.It. it looks, feels and drives very well. I do believe there will be many of this particular car sold. For myself, I am looking to find a "white kit" so I can have a unique livery.

I agree with your assessment that this might the slot car of 2013.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Slot.it. Continues to go from strength to strength doesn't it???

Excellent review my friend, you captured the model perfectly :)

SCOTY? Wow, I think so as well to be totally honest. I love whats happening with the T/A cars this year but this McLaren is really something special in my opinion. Im on a budget with the hobby for the first time in many years, but gee I think this feller could find a spot at home here, it is that nice!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Great review and super photos, thanks! This kept me going until yesterday when mine arrived.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the one I got, though.

The front tires are poorly molded, with splits between the sidewalls and the tread of the tire.

The chassis is markedly warped downward towards the front, so that the guide has an extreme "nose-down" attitude, which will not be good for handling. Some of my other Slot.it cars have had warped frames, but none as bad as this, I will need to flatten this one before it gets run.

Mine has the motor/body interference that Maurizio warned us about, but that's not a big deal, I will remove the capacitor and file the brush holder molding a little to get the little bit of clearance I will need. On my track, these cars generally perform better with minimal pod movement anyway.

Finally, although the paint and detailing are very good, the tampo printing on the driver's helmet is off-center to the right about 2mm, which looks very wierd. It won't worry me when it's on the track, but static it is quite noticeable.

I hope that the car performs well enough to compensate for the quality control issues.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks for the review Harry. Im amased how quickly you got this up. So was the car in the door for like 1 minute before you started the review? New record??
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for the comments, it is good to see the feedback.

Sounds like a bad one there Dennis. Might see if you could return it. ?

After a long day today, good to come home and see folks chiming in.

It was 2 minutes Greg. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Great review! Nice pictures too. I always like the tuning tips you provide us with!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Harry,

You sir are working towards getting in me htrouble.

This "less is faster" is just so much FUN! Kinda like the early 70's when I had a well massaged 6 banger that would spank the smog motor V-8s all the time.

I have had the enjoyment of The Hawk experience. You might not beat them down the straights, but most of the tracks I race on have more curves then straghts.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

LOL, yes I did change the motor. Just works for my smaller track.

Look forward to your own race report.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

LOL, yes I did change the motor. Just works for my smaller track.

Look forward to your own race report.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby goosenapper » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Wow. We're talking some seriously small tolerances when you're sanding the motor to get the ride that you want! :scared-eek:

It's great to see Slot.it branching further away from their Group 6 roots. And it looks like they are maintaining scale accuracy while doing it, motor sanding aside. ;)
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey Harry, to overcome the motor hitting the body can you turn the motor upside down? ie the motor terminals on the underisde of the car? Or is the chassis that low it will scrub on the track?
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Product Reviews!