[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric Trans-Am! Full Review

Scalextric Trans-Am! Full Review

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Scalextric Trans-Am! Full Review

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:27 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Scalextric Trans-Am! Full Review

Postby Jesla » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 pm

One of the best reviews yet.........keep'm com'n!
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:24 pm

I read these reviews with a great deal of interest. Even though they were not known to me when I started at HRW, they have become a major point of interest to me, second only to the comments posted by my friends, of whom there are so many, I feel unworthy. I love this place.

That said, David, this one is a beaut. I think this is our best review ever. It helps that the cars are two we have been waiting for and were favorite cars anyway, but I don't think I ever enjoyed a review more. I actually laughed out loud twice. Lots of good sharp photos, and excellent historical info. Just a great job.

I have the white version, too, and it is lighted, just as you said. I'm trying to decide if there is a way to keep the lights, because they are very good. I wonder if I can graft the headlights from the white kit to the tail lights of the Gurney car. That would be a neat trick.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dge467 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:42 pm

AWESOME! :text-thankyouyellow:
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Great review!
Interesting bit about the magnet being thinner - definitely will make it less prone to snap out rolls / rear drift than the Mustangs... Anyone know if this is an attempt to replicate the actual handling characteristics of the 1 to 1 rides? Were they more tail happy than the Mustang/Camaro? It is definitely an interesting change to say the least. :)
Again - awesome review! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby scatman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:12 pm

:text-bravo: Awesome review. My cars arrived today. :music-rockout: Time to beat Blake, Regalman82 with my Cougar. :banana-dance:
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby regalman82 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Tony for the great laugh :naughty: I don't know the challenger handles pretty good even on stock tires. Should be a good race :music-rockout:

Blake
regalman82

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks gents, I appreciate the kind comments. Not sure I'd lump this in with "greatest ever" type of speech as I see too many flaws, but I'm glad to have hopefully provided a service and a few laughs along the way.

Great cars. I just got done running them more...dead stock. Sure, my tuning will improve them, but they run pretty well out of the box here. I did just notice - it looks like Scalextric may have changed tire compounds. Mine are very "rubbery"...not sure what else to call it. Nothing like my last few cars. Anyone else notice this?

Todd - I thought the same about the magnets, especially when I saw the chassis on the Cougar, but not having a plastic track, I really can't say for sure.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dundee Denny » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I am hoping (hint-hint) that someone with a magnet measuring device will determine what additional magnatizm is needed to make things equal with the older cars for those that can't break their magnet habit.

With the additional front of rear axle "ready to add" a magnet holder ready for action, what strength magnet could be added to equal things up.

That being said my initial runs of old and new only brought a .2 difference in performance, but a constant one, so in theory the updated versions have an uphill battle before you start a race.

Ho,Ho,Ho!!

Dundee Denny
Last edited by Dundee Denny on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 pm

So far with no weight add and no magnut, stock rear rubber and smaller
Mustang front tires and body floated. My Cougar is running near the very
top of my Trans Am field on Carrera track. I have some PG tires coming
but the stock rears work surprisingly well and consistent.

Maybe this pair is a shot across the bow of Carrera signaling Scaley is not
going to just roll over.......well one can always dream.....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:00 am

Tuning begins on Thursday for me. I'll go PG tires first and my normal float methods and lower the nose of the Cougar. I'm anxious to see what these things can really do!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:11 am

Top Review there Dave, I have my Green Challenger in my hands. But still a bit unsure on the Cougar maybe I'll wait for the green Moffat version if one comes. I like the big Mercs but would have thought that Scaley would have kept going with the 1970 cars first.
I have a second challenger on the way in the form of the orange one from the F & F twin set, although I believe that's an R/T. That and the Camaro will be up for reliveries.
Trans Am will always be a seller here in Oz I think simply because more than a few made there way down under.
I first noticed the thinner magnets on the falcon hardtops, which was odd at the time because the obvious opposition, the toranas were really stuck down with smaller diameter tyres and the big magnet.
I think the magnet change has been a result of some quarters saying the scaley cars felt too stuck down.
My feeling is that Scaley should have kept parity by using the same magnets, to avoid problems for Mr and Mrs average and their kids. With cars that differed so much.
But left it to the experienced tuner to either drop in a smaller mag or give it a complete magnetectomy as they wished.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:50 am

Really a great review!!! :text-thankyouyellow:
Its always nice to see pictures of your track and these cars are right at home there!

With the two Challengers side by side, the Scalextric and your car. The Scalextric does appear to be close to Sub lime. Yours looks to be close to Green Go. Sub lime is a '70 only color and Go Green is a spring '70 and '71 color.
So the racing T/A's were Sub Lime and the street version T/A's I've seen in both colors. Sub Line didn't hold up well and many cars faded with in a year.

Randy
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:26 am

Great review, I can't wait to pick these up. I also noticed the tires on the new Scaley's are pretty good. I picked up the no. 13 Mustang in a trade and was pleasantly surprised. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:59 am

Randy's right. I completely forgot that. Lots of them were repainted in the other color.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to Product Reviews!