Copper Tape cleaning?

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Copper Tape cleaning?

Postby jcis4me » Mon May 25, 2015 3:35 pm

After sitting for a few days my copper tape starts to tarnish and change colors, and when running a car on any of the 3 lanes very little electrical contact until I add a drop of voo doo juice on the braids and it runs fine, What do you do to keep the copper from tarnishing??? A light burnishing of super fine scotch bright?
Thanks
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Copper Tape cleaning?

Postby dreinecke » Mon May 25, 2015 3:44 pm

I buff it with a dry paper towel - I think I learned that from Luf and it works well for my needs.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon May 25, 2015 6:13 pm

If it gets really bad, a tiny bit of Brasso on a terrycloth rag, rubbed all the way around the lanes will keep them like new for weeks.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Tue May 26, 2015 7:31 am

Marty - Rob is right about the Brasso - I keep forgetting what it is like in an area with humidity.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby mattb » Tue May 26, 2015 7:56 am

While I run on Carrera with the stainless rails, back when I had routed tracks I sprayed "tuner cleaner" on the braids and made a couple laps, sometimes I used WD40. I used to get the tuner cleaner at Radio Shack. Not sure if it is easily found in brick and mortar stores anywhere. Wd40 worked pretty good.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 am

When using Brasso, my method:

Choose a car with more robust/durable braid with larger size that is easily changed: Meaning a Carrera.
Last few years, all new Carrera models have spare braid in the back of the case.

Lightly apply some Brasso to the braids. Run the car about 25 laps.

Remove the braids from the car and replace with new ones.

Keep the "Brasso Braids" on hand for next time. You can clean these braids with Ronsonol lighter fluid.

I purchased a Carrera Dodge brand new for $25.00 from LEB. It was my "Track Cleaner" for this purpose for many years. I simply cleaned the braids before each use and re-applied the Brasso.

In some cases I cleaned the tape by hand with a old shop cloth. I did this before main events to really clean/shine the tape.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 am

INOX-MX3
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby chappy » Tue May 26, 2015 11:05 am

Ditto inox mx3.
put some on your braids, and about 4 or 5 spots on the copper in various locations around the track.
Run some laps with your car in each lane . Presto done.
It dosent hurt the braids, or the track, and it I creases the electrical conductivity aswell as cleaning the copper tape.
I got my Inox from SCC. The bottle goes a long long way.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby jcis4me » Tue May 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Lots of good Ideas! I tried the Maas metal polish and it worked great, but about 5 or 6 days later tarnishing re-appears! But the next day after polishing if I do not use 91 proof alcohol or voo doo juice the cars run like junk, until I put one drop of either on each of the braids and the car takes off, been trying to not used oil based fluids on the copper due to the fact tires loose ALL traction! Then it is cleaning time to rid the track of the oils. I am very close to the ocean and the humidity is high most of the time.
I guess I'll have to just polish the tape before important races.
BTW the Track Mate works great! Can't wait until the Pan Americana cars get here!!!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Billshea1 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Would a dehumidifier help?
Billshea1

Postby jcis4me » Wed May 27, 2015 7:44 pm

The track is in the garage and is subjected to the outside elements. I used the Maas metal polish two days ago and the copper is turning a nice shade of orange, I think Ill just polish once a week and just buff them down with a cloth sprayed with the 91 proof alcohol, it cleans it and put a drop of the alcohol on the braids and no problems.
Thanks guys for all the help!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu May 28, 2015 7:01 am

Copper reacts with carbon dioxide in the air and that is what causes the problem. If you use the track several times a week the copper carbonate that forms will rub off quickly. Metal polish will remove the copper carbonate, but will also generate dust. Wiping down the tape with WD-40 or Inox removes the carbonate and conditions it so that it does not get fouled as quickly.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage