WATER DIPPING motors 101.....

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

WATER DIPPING motors 101.....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

....G'day Guys,

I was asked in another thread to explain the process of water dipping slot car motors, I asked the same a little while back and got some really excellent advice from other members of our community so I'd like to share my experience....

....Firstly in the vast majority of cases (I've dipped a heap of motors now) the process works. The only caveat I'd like to place on this is DO NOT DIP FF STYLE MOTORS! I tried to dip one and wrecked the windings. I can only put this down to the cans on these motors have no holes/vents in them (the motor I tried was a Scaley FF), I believe that the water needs to free flow through the motor during the process, the lack of openings in the can doesn't facilitate this....

Having said that, I have dipped FC/SCX motors and have had wonderful results.

How wonderful you may ask? OK, a stock Scaley motor will get between 10600RPM and 11000RPM at the back wheels (DS pocket checker), I regularly get 11800RPM after dipping, and have a couple of Scaley stock motors that reached 12200RPM :) That's a serious advantage to be had in stock class racing or even messing around on your home layout, you WILL notice the difference in lap times.

How easy is the water dipping process??? Dead easy, if I can do it anyone can!!!

The Process....

OK, you've unsoldered your new stock motor from the wires and got it out of the chassis, and yes its fine to give it a few laps beforehand to see how it goes, no need to take off the pinion either, you can "check glue" it before you put the motor back in the car.

Solder on a pair of long leads onto the motor tabs, any wire is ok, I had some thick aftermarket silicone wire kicking around so I used that, stock leads are fine too, it doesn't matter that much really.

As far as a power supply goes, I use an adjustable type, I run my motors at 3 volts, as I use my supply for tyre truing as well, this is a handy choice for me as its always on my workbench.

You will need a container, I use a good old high tech plastic VEGEMITE jar (hee hee, what did you expect????), and you will need some water. I recommend distilled water, this stuff generally gets put in clothes irons to stop the guts rotting out of them, its cheap, cheaper still if you hook into your partners supply!!!

I use good old tank water though, being the ultimate tight ass (Lutheran/Dutch Catholic extraction), the price is right for me and where I am located means there is no goobies in the water off our roof....

OK, you've got the motor hooked up to the power supply and FULLY SUBMERGED in your container of water, now to give it some juice.

I run the motor at 3 volts for ten minutes, then I stop, reconnect wires to the opposite terminal and do the same again. I repeat this cycle three times for a total of 60 MINUTES.

You may find that the water discolours during the process, don't freak out, its normal, the black colour you see is bits of carbon from the brushes floating around in the water, it isn't going to hurt anything.

(EDIT) Forgot this bit, its important!!! After you have dipped the motor, you need to get the water out of it :) I give them a bit of a shake, let the water run out, then hit the motors up with a liberal dose of CIRCUIT BOARD CONTACT CLEANER. This is found at electronic and car parts shops (REPCO in Australia is a great place to get it, as they sell a cheaper no frills type cleaner that is dirt cheap in comparison to the name brands). Give it a liberal spray, make sure you squirt it into the can openings bearings etc, it dries well and doesn't leave any residue inside the motor. Finally after your freshly broken in motor is dry, oil the bearings and re-wire it into the chassis.

What the water dipping process does is it seats the motor bushes precisely to the commutator. A new motor brush is square, it makes limited contact with the comm, after running in the motor brush cuts/wears in to the curve of the commutator. This ensures maximum volts are passed through the motor. A sign of a well run in motor is the lack of "arcing" between brushes and comm surface, efficiency, that's the goal.

Essentially water dipping is a break-in procedure without all the heat/load (often high) of running a car around the track as often happens. The brushes seat nicely and the comm gets a nice polish too :)

The process itself has been around for yonks, R/C car guys used to water dip stock Mabuchi (540) motors back in the '80's to get a competitive edge on their rivals, its still a valid process today.
Last edited by Cosmic Bilby on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: WATER DIPPING motors 101.....

Postby boopiejones » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:49 pm

thank you for this tutorial. once you finish the process, do you do anything special to dry the motor off? squirt of contact cleaner, compressed air, dip in alcohol, etc?

i read somewhere else that the reason water dipping destroys FF motors is because the brushes aren't the traditional "blocks" of metal like you see on other styles of motors. FF brushes are extremely thin "feelers," and they therefore get destroyed quickly when running underwater.
boopiejones

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Yeah sorry mate :)

You beat me to it, I was just editing the post when you posted....

OK, I hadn't heard that about the FF motors, but it makes really good sense after my experience dipping the one of mine I tried....

....In all honesty I dont think that style motor needs any more performance (the Scaley FF in particular), they are a pretty brutal thing, I always find any Scaley FF powered model I've used to be a handful (I'm thinking F1's and the ever so toppy L34 Torana)....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I use the alcohol method only for the reasons Bibbster mentions.,..guess who taught me?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:10 am

Hey Bloke,

Great links there mate....

....Bit of reading with those links, I wonder if you could paraphrase your experiences for us in this thread though? Would make a lot easier reading for the visitors....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 am

....Super,

That really rounds out the thread nicely for the visitors :)

...You should try cutting the brushes, I think you will find they seat a bit quicker....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks very much for the detailed write-up. Now I've got something new to try. :banana-rock:
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

...Thank you Sir :)

I just added a photo of a motor I dipped yesterday, as you can see I run a pretty classy establishment out in the garage, my lovely wife God Bless her did a nice close shot to hide the rest of the bench!!!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I use a Koford brush file on mine. The file consists of a 2mm rod with a comm shaped file. Works great on SCX type motors. One thing of note they don't put the best of brushes in new motors. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

...Too right Footscoot, they dont!

I did notice over on Getslotted that they were selling aftermarket brushes, TEAMSLOT I think, I was tossing around whether to buy some and see if they made a difference in my next "Smokey Yunick" RX motor.....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 pm

I like Gold Dust brushes which I think Pro Slot makes. They are somewhat larger than the regular SCX brushes, so they would need to be profiled on 2 sides. I may try it sometime to see if it really makes a difference. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Return to The Slot Car Garage