Scaley guide tip!!

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Scaley guide tip!!

Postby chrisguyw » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:39 am

Hi folks, I was just sorting through my photobucket pictures, and came across one I took a few years back..........it was posted on another site, well before I signed up here, but, I thought it might be useful to add here, as it is quite a good tip for those who run Scaley cars with stock guides,......particularly when running without magnets!!.....it will save broken chassis", and will improve non magnet performance.........and it costs nothing!!

The major Home set Maufacturers, produce cars that they know will be primarily used stock out of the box, and ,with magnets in place, so the chassis design is focused on just that......stock parts with magnets.
Unfortunately, the guide set up/design, while perfectly fine in magnet racing, is the cause of broken chassis', and less than perfect handling once the magnets are removed. With magnets, the guide really does not have to rotate much left to right, as when the car slides just a little, and the magnet is no longer over the rails,.....it is gone.
When the magnet is removed, the car can be controlled at much greater slip angles, and often, this angle exceeds the amount the stock Scaley guide can rotate, resulting in.............one of those "tank slapper" slides where the car bounces off the guide stop,....or,......worse, the force is enough to break the guide tongue/post hole collar. Neither is beneficial!!!

This quick (and cheap) tip will greatly improve this situation........and,.......all you need is an Xacto.!!

The picture below illustrates hoe easy it is....

With a sharp (new) Xacto blade, take a few slivers off the back edges of the Scaley guide stops. These guides are a rather tough nylon/plastic, and will let you take off roughty half, with no breakage concerns........and if the guide can rotate without hitting the stops...there is no breakage issues!!
If possible, try to angle the cut, as seen in the photo, as this will allow the maximum rotation, with the maximum strength. I have done this on dozens of cars with no issues.

This will certainly let your non magnet Scaley cars handle better, will stop the dreaded "tank slappers", and will save you buying a new chassis. :)

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Scaley guide tip!!

Postby chrisguyw » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:56 am

The above post is the fix for stock scaly guides, but other manufacturers (notably Fly) suffer from inadequate guide rotation, even if replacing the guide with an aftermarket unit......if anyone is interested, I can take some pics of the "fly" fix.........equally as easy to do, and yet again, no cost!!

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for posting. Great tip. Sharing info is always welcomed
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

Slick! Appreciate the "share"! Can't knock the price! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby frank9129 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip.
It just came a little late. I have several Scaly chassis that are broken at the guide.
Keep the tips coming. I have to work on my cars now to save them.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Great tip, at a price I can afford. Now does anyone have a solution for those cars that have suffered
From this fate. I'm talking a step by step for those of us of a less talented bent. With at least 50 scale cars, at some point I will need to address the issue. B nova was a solution, but even if available would get to be a costly one.
Bob e
seal666

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Great one indeed.

I have articles using Evergreen sheet plastic to make your own repair, but they cost money. So I have no free fix in my collection. :?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Great tip! I will need to go back and do this on my cars.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Fly fix as well please :)
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 pm

Harry, I think I can afford repair material, that was just my frugal scotch/German heritage showing. Could you kindly direct me to the articles. Also is anyone going to do a 3 printer version of the B nova type solution?
seal666

Postby seal666 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Harry, I think I can afford repair material, that was just my frugal scotch/German heritage showing. Could you kindly direct me to the articles. Also is anyone going to do a 3 printer version of the B nova type solution?
seal666

Return to The Slot Car Garage