[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - It's Now Time To Do Some Testing - Slot.It Audi R18

It's Now Time To Do Some Testing - Slot.It Audi R18

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

It's Now Time To Do Some Testing - Slot.It Audi R18

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 am

I must say that Slot Car Corner is just so dang efficient. I placed my order for my Slot.It Audi R18 and a pile of parts on Christmas night. The little elves got to work very quickly on December 26th and shortly after opening, I got an email telling me the package had shipped and that I should have it on Decebmer 28th. Of course I was waiting on my merry mailman as he drove down the street. He mentioned, "I see you have a package here from New Hampshire . . . . " and I explained to him the info was correct as the SCC guys said it would be.

But getting a chance to work on it, was NOT in the cards that day as we had family visiting from out of state, so I just had to put my goodie box on the workbench and let it be.

Finally this AM I got a chance to open it up and get it ready to go today.

The first thing I did was to remove the front press on wheels and slide on a pair of Slot.It 17 x 8 aluminum set screw wheels. I slid the stock front tires over the wheels, then introduced them to my Hudy tire truer. Next up was putting a set of 1408RY SuperTires on the rear and then they got the Hudy treatments as well.

I quickly put the chassis on to a flat surface and checked the ride height. A few minor adjustments and all was fine with the front end.

Next I removed the Slot.It Flat-6 motor and installed one of the M/T-5 Long Can Motors in the car. Once the motor was in, I set the gear lash by spacing the spur gear away from the motor pod. Once I had it where it 'felt right' I hooked it up to my bench supply and set the voltage to 4.0 volts and powered up the supply. The car was whisper quiet and very smooth. I turned off the power supply and put the car all back together once again.

Now it was time to run some laps on my 'test track', which is a Carrera "GO" 1/43rd layout that normally holds my Carrera "GO", SCX Compact and scratchbuilt 1/43rd cars. But I can use one of the interior lanes of the 4 lane layout to make test runs on my 1/32 cars. The Audi R18 was very smooth, very controllabe and it felt like it would run very well on our new routed track at DeBary Glen. Hopefully I'll get a chance to run some laps over there today.

More to follow.

Thanks to all those here on HRW that gave me input on how to set up a car for wood racing. I've tried following your tips and hints. We shall now see if I listened well enough to pick up the knowledge you attempted to impart to me.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: It's Now Time To Do Some Testing - Slot.It Audi R18

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:37 am

Sounds like your having fun.

:banana-gotpics:

Photos man! What are we paying you for? :lol:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Marty, I find it interesting you "down"" motored it right off the bat. I figured you'd try it with the Flat 6 motor first. That said, I think you'll like Mark's motor on your new track. Should be a good one to learn the new track.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 am

Well there was good news and there was bad news.

The bad news is that the M/T-5 Long Can Motor will NOT fit the Slot.It Audi R18. It's close, very close, but no cigar! I noticed that there was a slight deflection in the chassis once the body was screwed on. I thought I might have a wire interfering with the body, but it was the motor. The M/T-5 Long Car Motor is "Boxer" sized, not "Flat-6" sized. As such it will not fit the low slung body of the Audi.

But at 10 volts, the Flat-6 motor - although more power then I could successfully hook up - was adequate. I just had to remember that it could and would spin the tires under had acceleration. But the power delivery is smooth enough to make it still fun to run around the new track. But I might be a bit easy to please as I find most slot cars have a lot of 'good' about them and very little bad.

I hope that M/T motors come out with a direct replacement for the Flat-6 Slot.It (MN09) motor. I'm thinking Harry is right, the less power works very well.

But since I also had some other things to test while there, I still found out that less is sometimes more. I had recently purchased the #30 "Iggy Kotano" #30 1969 Dodge Charger 500 by Carrera. I put a set of Paul Gage XPG tires on the rear, trued them and put the car on the track. It had a very adequate amount of traction right off the bat. But as the laps wore on, the traction kept getting better and better!

On our new track, "Palm Bay", we have a wall on the red lane. Actually there are two walls, one prior to the long main straight in front of the driver's stations and another one at the two 90 degree turns that are separated by a short chute at the end of the main straight. I think if you race at DeBary Glen, you will soon have a "DeBary Stripe" on the left side of your car as that wall is just about right to 'ride it around' both turns. It was a blast racing those big cars around on the road course. I can see a whole lot more stocker action coming to our club.

Then we wound up with a pair of 'test cars' to check out the validity of some concepts. ModlerBob and myself bought a pair of Carrera Ferrari 458s. Then we put H&R Hawk motors in them, a pair of Paul Gage XPG tires on the rear and went racing. What a blast those cars are. Adequately fast, very even and you have to drive the wheels off of your car each lap. A very different type of racing then on our "DeBary Glen" plastic track.

Both types of racing have their own merits. The plastic track is very fast and fun. The routed track is fun, but in a diferent way. I personally like both for different reasons. Just something our of the ordinary and each day is just that much more fun.

I hope to get back over later this week and perhaps this weekend. All this racing is tough, but someone's got to do it.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Return to The Slot Car Garage