Adding screen and glass.

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Adding screen and glass.

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm

With our resin models sometimes we like to add a few details as well as glass. Our molds do not come with glass like most quality kits, so we make our own.

First is screen. Or "Clod Blockers" as we called them. On many oval racers there was no glass at all. But depending on the track, you sure wanted something to block those hefty dirt clods!

Anyway, try coffee filter screen for a reasonable scale effect. I am using some here on my latest project.

These filters come in many different sizes. Some are larger than this but it worked out ok.

When removing this, make sure you have a fresh or nearly new blade. This mesh is soft and can easily fray using a dull knife. Once cut out, a sharp scissors trims it easily enough.

Next is our adhesive.

You might laugh at this product, but it is simply the handiest adhesive for jobs like this. PLUS it leaves behind no hazing effect on your glass. The pen gets into the smaller spaces and when you "cure" it, the bond truly is super strong.

I cut the screen and glued it in first. Then added some visible "roll bar" detail on each side.

Done!

Hey...remember that package the glue came in? DO NOT THROW IT AWAY :)

Blister packs like these and those 2 liter soda bottle make excellent glass. The preformed shapes really look good when used in the right application.

Some plastic bottles/packs are thinner than others and very easy to bend/contour. I held this in place with one hand and tacked the bottom. Then went from side to side and finished it.

Not bad, at least in my book.

Hope it helps some of you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Adding screen and glass.

Postby mattb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Harry, nice tip and good job
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Another great tut!! And the laser glue pen is the cats A$$ for the screen and window work...I know, it is so easy to use!! Can’t tell ya how many plastic window pieces I have fogged up using CA!! I’ll tell ya something...if someone doesn’t learn something here on our site, whether it be major or very minor, every time they visit...shame on them!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 am

Another source of fine screen is K&S. Hobby shops and hardware stores often have it.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks Harry. That coffee screen is very fine mesh, looks good.

I have found that enough clear plastic packaging comes into the house that can be reused for slot cars, that I never have to buy vacuum forming supplies anymore.

I have never seen that gluing tool, so that is something I will be on the lookout for. I use a micro scale product for glass. Doesn’t fog, dries clear and is water soluble, so any mistake is easily cleaned.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am

You just created a mini-lanche of web hits looking for that glue, Harry! Demonstrated on one of those great '63 Galaxies of yours, no less.
RBPhillips

Return to The Slot Car Garage