[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Paul Gage tire issue????

Paul Gage tire issue????

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Re: Paul Gage tire issue????

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 pm

And yes Way, you are way to much into this, lol
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 am

I store all cars with a small piece of wood under the car to lift the tires off the shelf surface. I've seen too many tires ove the years that flat spotted or had cracks and other issues and I just figure it can't hurt for the car to rest on it's chassis and not on it's tires.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:09 am

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

I didn't mean any disrespect at all, just was making a comment on how many cars he has, and with my modest collection I thought I had a lot of cars. He just proved me wrong. That was what I meant
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:04 pm

And for being out of the slot car loop so to speak it is nice to come to a site with like minded people.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm

And please take time to to read the entire thread, including an answer from Paul himself.

Perhaps...maybe...just me thinking out loud...before asking: "So , does this mean that if we have PG tires they might fall apart some day soon"

No one ever stated it would happen "soon" or if at all. As per the answers given in the thread, it is simply an odd and rare issue.

Maybe soon is 10 years? 5 years? As I have urethanes by the hundreds that age that still work today. In fact I ran them in our July Showdown.

Sometimes the mix is just a bit off. It happens.

Sometimes it's the elements they are EXPOSED to. As I have already seen: "I stored them in my lean-to shed in Florida over the summer...my slot car bodies are deformed and my tires are junk" "It was only 120 plus..."

There is NO brand on anything in this hobby that is perfect. I have seen issues on all brands.

There is no way any compound will last forever, but some expect it to. For the low cost of a tire, if it DOES happen, a replacement is easily attained. And contacting the maker goes a long way. Again, something most do not attempt, but try it when an issue appears.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:56 pm

It happened to my urethanes in just a couple of days. I'm thinking it could be a chemical reaction to super glue. Super glue puts off a lot of fumes. It could even be the brand of super glue.
How many of you glue your tires on?
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

I will be glueing mine on but will be using a automotive weather stripping adhesive , will have to wait and see I guess
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:03 pm

If I am not mistaken, and it might be here but I think I have seen guys putting the sugar glue on the outside the tires also, at least the fronts, can anyone tell me that I am mistaken with that
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 pm

I meant, Super glue, not sugar glue
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:27 pm

I use Hansens Hard as Nails nail polish with no reactions.

However...Pappy, you make a very good point. SG does cook off some residue. Might have to bench test a wheel and see.

Coating fronts for "zero grip" is common. Most use clear nail polish. I use cheap floor wax (off brand Future).
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Tequila Kid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am

Had the Red Goo issue just recently. I had a well used set of Urethane tires ( Yes XPG's ) on one of my Scaley Aussie V8 Supercars. Edges were getting a bit square, so decided to round them off a bit. Must have got them a bit too hot as the edges suddenly turned to a really sticky Jelly and a bright translucent Red. It was really quite a lovely color. Now, in no way did I consider this a fault of the tires. I've turned thousands of laps on these tires. They were getting pretty worn. I just thought it was kind of cool.

PGT and XPGT tires work really good on my local track. I slapped on a spare set of 20 x 12 XPG's ... then ordered three more sets. :handgestures-thumbup:

Edit: Come to think of it. These tires were glued with Super Glue. May have been IC2000. I've had IC2000 react with some tires before. Both Urethane and NSR rubber. All I'll use now is 3M W/Strip adhesive. Never had any reactions with that. especially on NSR rubber tires. IC2000 caused some of my brand new NSR tires to split.
Tequila Kid

Postby Aloha » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:42 am

Interesting subject. I have now had a total of six pairs turn into a sun red gelatin mess. 4 pairs have been XPG. I only use Sally Hansen Hard As Nails as the bonding agent. I had origianally thought it was a combination of heat and humidity found here in Hawaii. Now I am not so sure. When the tires are good they are great. I have used YD and not had that problem. My personal opinion is when PG are in good shape they have a great composition and allow for good traction and always competitive
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tequila Kid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Juts going over to my Buddies house. Lunch an then a few hours of door handle bashing with Aussi V8 Super cars. Dale, now that I've shared my tip about 3M weatherstrip adhesive... how about PM'ing me your Secret Sauce for NSR tires... What I'm using ain't working good enough....sigh.
Tequila Kid

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm

I have been having this problem for quite a while now and I think it is happening only with the XPG tires so my solution has been to switch back to PGT only. It hasn't affected all my XPG tires but it has affected over half over the period of a year. Foamys dry out over a shorter time frame. And I have had Carrera tires turn to a black goo while sitting on the shelf.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Slot Car Garage