Fishtailing Policar F1

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Fishtailing Policar F1

Postby Reegs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:55 am

We elected to run the Policar F1s for our next series and this past Friday had a preliminary race with them. I did better than usual so I'm pumped. One thing though - the cars fishtail all over the map.
The rules let you change the rear wheels, rear tires (silicone only), guide, and braid. All else box stock.
My set-up: the "new chassis" March, a little bit of tungsten putty behind the front axle (all weight MUST be inside. Yeah.), Quick Slick 53 tires Firm. Slot-It rears. Otherwise it's OEM.
All tracks are plastic (Carrera or Scalextric).
Smaller diameter tires? Softer compound tires? Somehow get more weight inside - but where?
First race I'll make is May 3.
Thanks.
Reegs

Re: Fishtailing Policar F1

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 am

We are about to run them at our store. I am not sure if a smaller diameter would help but on the tracks you said you will be running on a softer compound will not be the way to go. Firm has been found to work great on Carrera track. You may want to try the extra firm tires. We are only running Extra Firm at the store on our wood track. It also sounds like you may want to look into lowering the voltage or turning up the sensitivity on your controller.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:17 am

We've run them in two club series so far and we've had no specific issues whatsoever running them and this is on plastic as well as wood. We run silicones (the unmentionable brand) and they run very well. They're really great to race, beautiful to look at (except the ugly, ugly March...) and these one of our favorite classes to run. We also run at 10V (we run everything at this voltage) with no weight.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:24 am

[quote](except the ugly, ugly March...)/quote] LOL, and that's the ugly duckling I like... :lol:

Have not had to change any wheels here yet, just a motor swap and tires.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am

We haven't run the newer F1s, mostly the Scalex classic F1s. We run on painted Carerra at 10V.
Use the deepest guide possible. I glued a strip of styrene on the bottom of mine. Also run as wide a tire as possible. We run unmentionables, but on Carrera GT cars we found the firm or extra firm QS worked better. If the car is tail happy, nose weight won't help....move the weight backwards.
Crucially, clean the track as any dust will make you slide everywhere. The track owner does a good job cleaning the track, but it's also true that it gets faster through the night as more cars run and clean it further.
With the Policar, check the pod adjustment as well.

Just my 0.02
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reegs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 am

Thanks
Reegs

Return to The Slot Car Garage