Tuning my Carrera Alfa

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Tuning my Carrera Alfa

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

This car isn't one of those models that usually catch my eye, but I took the plunge and picked it up anyway.

I decided to try some tuning methods we have used on just about every other car we get our hands on to see how I well it could be smoothed out.

After breakdown I sanded the entire outside of the chassis.

I also started the B Nova guide conversion. I know...not something for everybody, but I really like these little kits.

This shows the rest. I opened up the chassis mount holes with a small rat tail file a little. Then I sanded off the lip that most all Carrera cars have to allow a decent float.

This shows the lip removed better.

I kept the car with independent front wheels. They have very little slop and did not see the need for any more work.

Motor swap is just my personal taste. This little car is a classic to me and now it runs in our little series.

The underside shows the guide installed and the PGT tires on the rear. Notice the increased width. I like this.

You have to sand the inner rib on the wheel down a little, but they fit great.

Overall it looks fine to me.

This car runs very well now. Needs some lead in the right places but the car is a blast to drive as it is.

So much so that I bought the other one. Alfa Romeo just isn't a car I like that much...so to add another one might be a record here :lol:

Fun little cars. Side by side they give me a pretty good time and that is about all you can ask for right?

Hope it helps some of you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Tuning my Carrera Alfa

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 am

Maybe that is why? They are kinda square, odd looking cars just like those. And no secret I think they are cool :)

Be nice cars for the Copperhead.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am

They are beautifully ugly because we are all subconsciously sick and tired of cars that look like jelly beans.

I always thought it was brave of Alfa to participate in such arduous racing, where the strain on the machinery is legendary. Alfas are so delicate, and they are so lightweight, they might as well be Fiats. I had a Fiat 124 Spyder, and it had parts in common with the Alfa Romeo Veloce, a much more expensive car that was ten times more delicate than the Fiat.

I have enjoyed running this car against the older Fly Alfas. They look great.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HRWJim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 pm

I had a chance to run this car this weekend. It's a little honey. I will have to buy one. Like you said @$35 why not. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage