[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My fifth resin cast - Lotus Europa

My fifth resin cast - Lotus Europa

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

My fifth resin cast - Lotus Europa

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Just got this cast and turned out to my best so far with few voids, bubbles and minimal flash.

That's enough casting. Time to build some cars.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: My fifth resin cast - Lotus Europa

Postby chappy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Well done Dan, that looks a really good cast.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:58 pm

You aren't kidding, John. I can honestly say that of all the cars I ever sat in, the Europa that belonged to a girlfriend's mother was the lowest, tiniest, most impossible feeling car. I actually thought it might be an elaborate Cotton Carnival joke, just to see the big guy in the soldier suit cram himself in there. I couldn't even heel and toe the pedals, because my feet were too long. Her mother, a few weeks later, came by us on a Memphis city street at what must have been close to 100mph. Her mother was a tiny redhead and the car looked like it had been tailored to fit her, also red. The father in the family was a judge!

Dan, are you going to need a chassis? Something that small, you might be able to use brackets screwed to the body for everything. The Lotus Europa very nearly had that kind of chassis, they called it The Frog Chassis. I have a Road & Track around here somewhere with an ad showing the unusual chassis design.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dge467 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 pm

I was just thinking a while back that the Europa would be a cool slot car. Nice work!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby munter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Another cracker, Dan.
Great subject that you have expertly executed.

I wish I could say, "enough, time to build some cars"
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Great job Dan! You're really getting these out!

Ah...good to be smaller in stature. I've driven exactly one. Ok, for about 5 miles, but still...An Air Force Major near us at Ramstein AFB had one he'd picked up while at RAF Mildenhall. It was silver with a black interior. He had an odd collection of cars and I got to follow him to an exhaust repair place the town over to drop it off for some work to be done. The muffler had rusted off and it sounded like a full-tilt race car. I was 16 at the time, which as a US teen in Germany meant I only had a learner's permit. He needed the help, I babysat his kids and talked cars with him, so he just said "Don't tell your folks." Are you kidding me? Heck no! What a great little car!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 am

That Europa looks great, Dan1

That car brings back a memory from a long, long time ago. I was in my early 20's (early 1970's) and driving out of Boston late one night, after a good party. I was in a Triumph TR6 and was proceeding North on Rt. 1. All of a sudden a Europa pulled up along side me and hesitated just long enough to let me know that we were headed into a little road race. In a straight line, the two cars were pretty evenly matched; although I knew that I was staring down the exhaust pipes of a Colin Chapman designed car. But, once we hit the Saugus rotary (roundabout if you're ex-US), I never saw the Europa again; it was simply gone. Whereas I had braked and downshifted from 75-80 mph going into the rotary, the Lotus hadn't! And he was just a spec on the horizon when I emerged from the rotary. At that point, I started dreaming about a Europa of my own.................but then I realized..................I'm 6'4"............. :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 am

One of the frames could be a Lotus 47 which was the racing version of the Europa, but had many differences as well.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:10 pm

6'-4"!! You're even bigger than I am, contemplating that car. My uncle had a Lotus Cortina he brought back from European Deployment, and it was amazing. When my girlfriend told me her mother got this car, I couldn't wait to see it. I also loved the Super 7, until I saw one close up. I understand the Caterham version is more full-size driver friendly.

Dan, can you use a box motor to save space? The Tomy Tiger is good. I replaced the motors in my Ninco Go Karts with them and they are much better cars for it. I have a bagful of motors that are nearly the same, you could have one and see if the idea works.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Good reminiscing of the past and suggestions.

Waay: Thanks for the motor offer.

Beginning the build so I'll start a new thread.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:12 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop