[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Building the Marmon Wasp

Building the Marmon Wasp

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Building the Marmon Wasp

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 pm

I use some very small can motors for my 1/43 scale builds. N class with high power mags. These are torqy with good brakes. My 1/43 scale slot cars with these motors are on par with a stock 1/32 scale Carrera or Scalextrics car for lap times.

You might want to consider something like this for this small car. In the 143 thread, Roland had some of these motors for sale.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:55 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going with a 90 degree-turned FF-050 motor for this build. It will be challenging, no doubt about that............

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 am

Hi Allan, Have you considered using either Penelope pitlane or Mitoos wheels?......Mitoos makes a 17 x 6 and Penelope pitlane makes a 19 x 6, both of which would look more appropriate than the 8mm wide CB design. Lots of folks use the 19 x 6 PP wheels for the pre war cars, and as a bonus, the inside flange of this wheel looks somewhat like a drum brake. Lots of narrow tires to fit these as well from PG/Dart/PP/PCS etc.

As well, if you are considering using a 22/24 mm (ish) tire, you will find the stock BWA front bracket will have a considerable amount of ground clearance, and will likely need a fairly thick guide spacer/guide tube to be added............you may be better off cutting the axle uprights off the front bracket and using "L" shaped pieces of piano wire, and an axle tube to position the front axle.

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS Great car by the way!!!
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks, Chris. I'll take a look at them.

I looked and the Penelope Pitlane 19x6 wheels look great! But, I don't find any Paul Gage urethanes that are spec'd to fit those wheels. Which ones should I be using? Or, perhaps D'Art urethanes............ Thanks.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:17 am

Good luck, Allan.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:57 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Allan:

I just went online and found this article-

http://wwww.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog ... parade_lap

The wheels on that car look to be almost 3 feet high, comparing to the people around it. Have you looked into using 1/24 dragster wheels, at least for the front. You could get them in smooth solid wheels and the diameter might be close enough to work. Another option might be to find a slotter with a lathe who could make you the wheels out of blank aluminum rod. Want ad anyone?

Have fun.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you, Chris! On the way to order now...............

Keith, I think that most of the dragster wheels are for 1/8" axles and I don't want to have to sleeve the 3/32 axles that I plan to use.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 pm

A second on the PCS rubber tires! I have a resin bodied Daimler and couple of Eldons with Cartix wheels that stick very nicely with those tire.

Val...
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:03 am

Thanks, guys. The Penelope PItlane 19x6 wheels and the PCS rubber tires, along with the Paul Gage urethane tires, plus some Penelope Pitlane rubber tires, are now on order.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:45 pm

I received a package from New Zealand while I was away.............. I was somewhat "crushed" when I first saw it.................:

But, the interior contents; 2 Porsche 550 coupe resin kits from John (munter) were in perfect condition:

They're even better in the "flesh" then they were in the pics that I posted earlier. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Chassis on order now - can't wait!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:08 pm

It must have been the NZ air that I always include in my kit bags that saved them.
For some reason it is thicker than normal air.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:40 pm

One week - in both directions is pretty good, John - maybe a new world record!

Anyway, your 550 coupe kits are terrific! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop