[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Diecast '55 Chevy PU

Diecast '55 Chevy PU

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Diecast '55 Chevy PU

Postby jeffery_1965 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 am

New here, but wanted to post on a new truck I'm playing with. Found a line of diecast cars made by Jada at Walmart for $6, and thought it would make a cool slot car. Still working on what I'll do for a chassis, but decided to start adding some character to the body. This is my 1st attempt at diecast as well as weathering, so I'm learning. :banana-dance: As I make more progress, I'll post some more pics.
55 pickup 003.jpg

Included a couple pics of my track, 7' x 15' Carerra, about 70' lane length.

Jeff

final3.jpg
final2.jpg
jeffery_1965

Re: Diecast '55 Chevy PU

Postby jeffery_1965 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:43 am

Thanks for the welcome. I've really been impressed with everyone's work I've seen here on the forum, and it inspired me to try something new. My brother already has 3D printed a couple chassis for his diecast trucks, and they seem to do ok. Definitely different driving technique due to the weight, but not slow pokes either. :)DiecastTruck.jpg

Trying to figure out the most cost effective source for parts for the chassis. Most of my experience was quite a while ago in 1/24, and looking at the source of 1/32 parts is a bit of a shocker on pricing. :o May just find some used cars and cannibalize them.

Jeff
jeffery_1965

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:14 am

Diecast slots are enticing because of the low cost availability of so many body styles. I have found in diecast "132" the scale is all over the place though.

Racing is racing though and if you have a "Diecast Class" why not? They are heavy and can suffer with braking, but once you get used to it they are fun to drive.

Nice track and welcome

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jeffery_1965 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:42 am

Completely agree to the scale comments Dan. The diecast trucks seem closer in scale to some of our Lindberg 1/32 models than the RTR cars we have. Haven't measured any wheelbases though, so not sure which ones are closer to scale. Doesn't matter too much for us, as there are just a few of us that play on the track. :)

Jeff
jeffery_1965

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jeffery_1965 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Been out of town for awhile so thought I would post where I am with my truck. Still trying to figure out all this weathering stuff, but here's where I think I'm going to land. Now to start a chassis for this beast. :banana-dance:

DSCN1428.JPG

DSCN1425.JPG
jeffery_1965

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Welcome Jeff, love the weathering on the truck, great work! HRW is a great resource for info on slot car building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jeffery_1965 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks mike, it's been fun to play with, but still lots to learn. :)

Finished up the bed, not real scale, but helps.

DSCN1430.JPG
jeffery_1965

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop