[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Pan-American Plymouth Update [FINISHED] 6/8 With Video

Pan-American Plymouth Update [FINISHED] 6/8 With Video

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Pan-American Plymouth Update [FINISHED] 6/8 With Video

Postby dge467 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Not the Pan-American race, but rather the expedition. A 14,000 mile trip from the United States to Cape Horn started on Nov 1st 1940. Not your typical slot car build, but most of mine aren't. ;) Starting with a resin 1/32 body. I bought a used die cast that this body was molded from to use for glass, body trim, interior , ect. Recreating the wheels may be a bit of work.

Grab a drink and a snack and watch the movie posted from You Tube. The first movie is the first half of the two films. The second is both movies in one. The movie of the first half is of better quality. You can then pick up the second half in the other movie. Quite interesting.

Last edited by dge467 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Pan-American Plymouth

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 am

What a cool project. I know you will do it right.

Now, anyone have any donkeys to loan?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:10 am

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 am

:lol:

So what are your thoughts on wheels?

Not sure if it applies, but Strangebrew accomplishes some very impressive results just printing the wheel design on paper and gluing them inside the wheel. The few cars he has done this for, you literally have to look twice to notice they are printed.

Just a thought.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am

I really enjoyed the big Pan-Am proxy we did here on HRW a few years back. I did a Tucker complete with six exhausts, and mud all over it with clean spots where the wipers were. My trouble was my decal work that was so hard to do got covered in the mud splash.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Rleog » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Very cool project, Jeff.

Central, then South America in the 1940s.....what an adventure!
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 pm

That is a good idea on the wheels. Maybe plastic also? I will have to see what kind of aggravation I feel like putting myself through. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :angry-banghead:
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby munter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Fantastic idea...I will follow this one.
Building like this for fun and enjoyment rather than racing opens up all sorts of possibilities.
How will you build a track to test it on?
Build it outside, though the garden and over the raised rose beds?
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 pm

I haven't given it a thought.I do happen to have one of those old SCX off road sets hanging around though.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Broman62 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Looking forward to this build...nice cast!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Some progress has been made. I scratch built the roof rack for it. The chassis I am using is one of the old Ninco off road chassis with the drop arm for the guide.I removed the coil springs and cut the axles down to narrow the wheel track. The tires are a bit wider then the real car, but they have a nice aggressive tread. I also had to lengthen the chassis. I glued in some plastic stock for reinforcement,then covered it with some hot glue for some more strength. I used a old compass to make and cut out the wheel inserts from some sheet plastic. I just have to add the wheel details and add the hub caps.

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Pan-American Plymouth Update 4/17

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Impressive stuff!! I love it!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Pan-American Plymouth Update 4/17

Postby dge467 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks! I have the body painted. I painted up the wheel inserts and installed the hub caps. They caps were found at the craft store.

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Pan-American Plymouth Update 4/19

Postby dge467 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Well two pic's before my camera's battery died. I will post more soon.

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Pan-American Plymouth Update 5/15

Postby Rleog » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 am

Looks like it came out great, Jeff.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop