[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - '59 Cadillac convertable build

'59 Cadillac convertable build

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

'59 Cadillac convertable build

Postby tin_indians » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 pm

tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: '59 Cadillac convertable build

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am

Ah, the fickle finger of fate has hooked us together.

I am working on a challenge car, a car from my early college days. My old 1959 Cadillac hearse that I owned with two other idiots. Its quite a story to tell, but when I told someone on HRW recently, he challenged me to built a model of it as a slot car. I have just finished filling the 27 holes in the model to make it my car, not the Ghostbuster's car. I actually ran out of putty and primer. The next problem to overcome is building a dumb-looking 1950s Early American couch to cram in the back the way we did for going to the drive-in movies.

Can you imagine these two land yacht cars side by side? Is there a track big enough to handle them? We'll play "Hog-of-the-Road", Clockwork Orange style.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dge467 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:43 am

Very nice work on the Caddy!! I have one of those kits waiting in the wings. I may use your idea for the pod. Very cool!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sat May 19, 2018 1:43 pm

You might be able to a piece from the Marx furniture line for your big couch. Or add a back to a model kit’s bench seat. Don’t forget to add an interior light to show off all your interior work. Have fun.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Last edited by tin_indians on Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm

tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat May 19, 2018 9:45 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun May 20, 2018 8:08 am

Two thumbs up on a very cool build sir - she'll definitely make for a great cruiser!

As far as too many small bits to "race", you'd be surprised at just how well that kit holds up "in action"!
I built the same kit - except with the "top up" for competition in the first Panamericana proxy here on HRW. After 15 races, in multiple countries, the bit that was lost was one of the small upper tail light lens!

Enjoy your new cruiser sir!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby tin_indians » Sun May 20, 2018 1:37 pm

tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 pm

TooMuch, :text-thankyouyellow: :text-coolphotos:
I always had a greater love for the Landau cars over the combo cars. Weren't the suicide door cars "three ways"? Where the table would rotate/turn to be able to load/unload the casket from the side door? I would almost give a left nut for a decent condition running '59.
I passed on a '53 Caddy landau car for $800 back in '77 coz I knew squat about cars and figured my dad would bury me in it had I brought it home. Still had the original curtains in it too.
Always had a love for old hearses...my '54 has the original straight 8 and three on the tree. No power steering, no power brakes, no a/c, no radio, no nuthin'. Rides like a truck though with the 10 leafs on each of the rear springs.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun May 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Yes, weight is the key to driving one of these things. A coffin with a someone in it can weigh upwards of 600 pounds for a full grown man in his prime, and the suspension is built for it- just like a truck. We cruised smooth as glass in ours when there were 6 people in it, but by yourself it was a buckboard. We put an AM/FM radio in and an 8-track tape player with speakers all over the place. It did have "power everything" from the steering to the radio mast, and the air conditioner had big outlets in the rear compartment, which made for a lot of "cold storage" jokes, and the black & white upholstery interior really must have set off the dark blue body once upon a time. In fact, we were nauseated by the nasty brown Herculon polyester fabric on the couch we crammed in that we actually bought a white bedspread to cover it up.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Dundee Denny » Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 pm

A+++ on all the detail work on this Caddy!!

Although speed is always fun, cruising around your track in these "chrome boats" can bring just as BIG smile!!

Appreciate the sharin!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 am

Outstanding project.

Here is one by TjetTom Baker he wanted to share:

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Gorgeous Tin :clap: :clap:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the kind words Guys...I'm my own worst critic. I'm really disappointed on the molotow pen work. Its a 2mm tip, maybe I shoulda used a 1mm....i need one of those big circular magnifying glass/florescent combos. Aged hands and eyes don't make a good combination.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop