[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Dairy Queen Scratchbuilding Supplies

Dairy Queen Scratchbuilding Supplies

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Dairy Queen Scratchbuilding Supplies

Postby JT Previa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:28 pm

At the SCCA Proxy round this weekend at Cornerstone Raceway, the hosting NERF team members brought along their HRW Sportsman cars to show how much progress they had made. Well, everyone but me brought along their car, mine was actually in the bag (the parts bag that I’d been given...;(. I did make a nice poster though!

Anyway, while I felt way behind in Car construction, my spirits were lifted when I learned of a new secret to car body modification from my teammate, Tom. Now, Tom has built cars from HO to 1/24 so he’s a veteran. But this new innovation is the result of a recent trip to Dairy Queen.

So, Tom was at the home of the Blizzard and the Big Brazier when he had an epiphany. He was thinking about his red SnapTight Camaro body that needed some work, and, as he savored the soft serve, his eyes narrowed and he noticed the curvaceous red spoons...spoons that were the same red as the Snap Tight plastic...

What do you think Tom was thinking he could do with those spoons?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dairy Queen Scratchbuilding Supplies

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm

tasty fender flares?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby model murdering » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Even if you dont whack them up into something; they work great for test shots. Sporks and plastic cutlery is great for dialing in your airbrush. With the curves, edges, and details, the liquid film will behave about the same as it will on the model you plan to shoot.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 pm

They make great fender flares. We have used them on a few of our cars that are too narrow for the 3 1/4 inch rear tread width we allow.

All gluing and body works needs to be epoxy as body putty does not take the abuse we give them.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 pm

This is amazing! You guys all eat at Dairy Queen! What are the odds? Do you all go to the same one Tom does, too?

Tom reports he used regular model cement, and you can see he didn’t need putty at all. He says the white spoons don’t work nearly as well, but I suspect he really likes Dairy Queen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

We used white spoon and molded the flares into the body.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the tip on the spoons. Since we don't the full blown DQ out here I've been checking out the plastic spoons for use as fender flares. Low and behold I found one such spoon that looks like a good fit on the car bodies I do but the nurses at the recovery room thought I was a little weird by checking out the spoon and asking if I could take it home to used on one of my slot cars. Oh well, I can hardly wait until I can walk out to the shop to check that spoon out on one of the projects I have going.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm

JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I melt the spoons, so to speak; using liquid plastic welder.

Once your hard stock is bonded in. Filler is easy. Brushable. Self leveling. Easy to adjust viscosity. Files and sands at the same rate as the parent. The only draw back is a longer cure rate than catalyzed putty.

model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop