Glue on Windshield

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Glue on Windshield

Postby Brent » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 pm

I have a 1/24 scratch built car with a glue thumb print right over the "drivers" line of sight. It's on the outside of the windshield, how do I remove? Thanks in advance, Brent.
Brent

Re: Glue on Windshield

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Brent, Is the body/windshield Styrene or Lexan ???.......and do you have any idea what glue you or whoever originally used ??
It will make a big difference in how you attack the repair.......a pic would help.

If it is styrene and was assembled with styrene cement, the glue will melt the surface of the windshield and, parts of the thumbprint will actually be imbedded (indentations) in the windshield.....if this is the case, the only way to make a good repair is to start with some 1200/1500grit wet/dry paper and sand the windshield until the "indentations" (thumprint) is removed. Then, sand (in order) with 3000, 4000, 8000 grade paper, and finish off with some Novus plastic polish, topped off with a coat of Future.

A royal pain, but, if you want it to look like new there is no other way.

Sorry there is no magic fix.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brent » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

99% sure its styrene and was a 2nd hand buy that was in storage until recently. I APPRECIATE your advice and response! Thanks. Brent.
Brent

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 am

I had some luck cleaning up an old Cox windscreen with Tamiya fine polishing compound. Toothpaste also works.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop