[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Help with Motor Types

Help with Motor Types

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Help with Motor Types

Postby whitworthnut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm

I've just ordered one of George Turner's MG K3 kits and I'm told it takes a 'slimline' FF050 type motor Scalextric or Scaleauto. I find lots of FF motors and lots of Slimline motors but nothing with a designation 050. What does the designation 050 refer to. Is an FF motor a generic term available from any manufacturer? Are all FF motors the same size (interchangeable? What is a slimline motor. I'm getting confused.
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Help with Motor Types

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby jmsh54 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello, I have the same GT kit in the pile to build. The motor Harry posted above is the one I am going to use. Good fit to the chassis and a nice classic run. BWA has the same size motor and it fits also. I noticed you are a Singer owner. I have a collection of pictures of a Singer Lemans that was at the Alden classic car meet this past summer. If you are interested I would be happy to forward them to you. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby whitworthnut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Harry. The article is quite useful.

jmsh54 - Yes I have had Singers forever. Not as easy to store as slots, though. I am quite familiar with the car you saw at Alden. The owner passed away and the car has moved back to England. It is in very good hands with the Gibson Brothers racing team.
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby whitworthnut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

John

Nice build on the Fraser Nash.

What crown wheel and pinion will you use on your MG. FYI, I'm a complete novice at this. I can make them look nice, but previous efforts have all been complete kits. I have never put all the mechanical bits together from scratch so I don't know what ratios are appropriate.I'm also interested in braking. I understand that some motors brake better than others and some not at all. Where does the FF050 rank in that department?
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

This is the official Mabuchi tool for deciphering the motor designations. Most other companies follow it.

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/te ... _0302.html
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 am

Hello, with the Mt motor I will use a 9 tooth pinion and If I can fit it in a yellow Slotit crown gear. This is just the set up I use as it works best on my Carrera track. The MT motor pictured above is a very nice motor and has good braking. I have used it before as well as the BWA motor.. You might try this site for parts. http://www.darthobbies.com/index.htm

Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby whitworthnut » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks, Gents.
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop