Photo-etched grilles

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Photo-etched grilles

Postby bkrownd » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 pm

I'd like to install shiny photo-etched grilles in some of my cars. (1/32 only) I'm not concerned with historical accuracy. I'd like to get a small assortment of generic photo-etched grille material - simple grids of holes, simple rectangular grids, and parallel bars. I've found a small number of sources on the internet that focus on 1/24 scale or kits for specific models - not quite what I'm looking for. Where do you prefer to get your 1/32 photo-etched grilles?
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Photo-etched grilles

Postby Ember » Sat May 04, 2013 2:47 pm

You could try the micro meshes for 1/24. Some look ok. But no one currently produces them for the 1/32 slot car market. The 1/32 scale chosen for slots is an odd size. Hopefully someone will hear our common plea and do something about it.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby bkrownd » Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I did see some 1/32 grille/radiator material on eBay, but couldn't find it at any retail sites when I searched. 1/32 is actually a common scale for military models.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Mark Thomas has some different "grillwork" on his site (M/T Racing Resins), some are intended for window nets but there is some smaller mesh too. Might serve your purpose.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Here's a blurry shot of the micro-mesh that Mark Thomas sells:
(the photo is actually a shot of the frankenaxle, which is why the mesh is blurry)

I installed the mesh at an angle to simulate how the radiator in a Devin SS is slanted. I think this stuff is great, and could work as a generic grill for just about any car.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 am

I have used K&S mesh and photoetched material. Some hobby and craft places carry it, I get it from my local hardware store.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Abarth Mike » Sun May 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Can't really help in a hurry but I believe you should be looking for something like 50 mesh which would give you scale about 15mm or a finger width. 1/2" is 64 mesh, 3/8" would be 85 and so on.

If you are not in a real hurry and if I get motivated I could go shopping and get you some ( motorbike taxi/Skytrain 5 stops/subway 6 stops/walk 1/2mile and back). OR if the supplier happens to be at the metal working exhibition on the 16th of this month I can get you some "samples". You need to tell me what mesh you need.

So far I have from 50 to 400!

400 is like stockings ( sorry. Old school ;) ). You can see through but you cannot see the individual SS strands :o That would be for intake stacks if one had enough patience?
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Derby City Speedway » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 am

Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby Abarth Mike » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 pm

^ +1
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop