[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Fiat 850 Coupe build

Fiat 850 Coupe build

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Fiat 850 Coupe build

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 am

Working on this potential entry in the modified class of an upcoming small car proxy.

It's starting off with an Fiat 850 Coupe body from a spanish SCX car.

Added some flares to reach the maximum track allowed.

Two-part, six minute curing epoxy used as usual to form the basis of the extended flares followed by putty and lots of filing and sanding.

It's sitting on a Ranch Design inline chassis modfied to accept a FF050 motor.

Wish Steve still made these now that I've discovered their use for small 1/32 cars.

A bit more sanding and then first primer coat.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Fiat 850 Coupe build

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am

Ditto, that flare work is outstanding. Well done so far.

Nice chassis too, I bet it runs like the wind.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby JT Previa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Dan,

Do you have a slot car vending machine in your house? I don't think the post office could deliver parts fast enough to keep up with your production (can you tell I'm jealous?).

Looks great as usual, I really like the arcing sweep of the roof on those 850s, reminds me of a smaller Alfa GTV.

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm watching and enjoying this.

I have one of these bodies in standard form....possibilities, possibilities.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Very cool, always loved that little Fiat. Looking forward to see progress on this one.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Primer on. Not too bad. A few pinholes to fill and more sanding before final coat.

Looking at finishing in grey with red stripes on the upper side flanks and a large Abarth scorpion symbol on the roof.

Getting there.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 pm

I always thought the little Seat/Fiat 850 was a cool little car, but that's going to be all that and pretty too.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Hey Dan

That looks great and brings back a lot of memories! One of my bestest buddies had one of these when I was at university. Was a fun little car. His was red but I would not impose upon you to ask to replicate that! Looking forward to seeing the finished article!
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 pm

One of my best friends had an 850 Spyder (looked like a riding lawnmower), and actually raced it. I had a 124 Spyder and it couldn't race against a Reliant Robin successfully (until 1972, when they got a bigger engine- mine was a 1969, and weak). It killed me when he traded for a new 128 sedan. It was a cheesebox, but as he said, he had reached a point in his maturity where he may want to carry such a thing as luggage- an impossibility in the Spyder. I traded for a Vega...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm

I LOVE these little things! Great work on the flares!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 pm

I made the mistake of renting a Citroen 2CV in France to make the trip to Italy. I was exhausted from downshifting (through the dashboard in a 2CV), when little 850 Fiats and Abarths began whizzing past me, accompanied by screamed gibberish, but maybe that isn't fair- it was their country after all. All I knew was I needed to get out of that Citroen and rent an Abarth.

Lots of very old memories from this tonight. I appreciate it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 am

Nice looking build Dan. You got them flares down to science. :handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am

Good to hear the Fiat brings back smiles.

Pretty much done with the cosmetics. Sprayed final coats of Tamiya TS66 Lin Gray and accented with trimmed red electrical tape. Flat interior tray came with the used car and completed with a Cartrix driver figure. Took grille trim from a Reprotec Fiat Abarth to give the front more of a face.

The widened flares are noticeably wider, but just enough, compared to my stock bodied one.

Onto some chassis testing and tuning.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 am

LOVE IT! Great looking little car and the grille bar really does complete the front end. I'm going to have to start looking for one of these now.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop