[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Nope - Not Out of Service, Just Busy !

Nope - Not Out of Service, Just Busy !

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Nope - Not Out of Service, Just Busy !

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: Nope - Not Out of Service, Just Busy !

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:06 am

Thank you for the in-depth detail and pics of your chassis! I am kicking around a couple different approaches for the one that I am building for the V.N.F.R. Vintage Nascar Fun Run (pseudo proxy) and may have to incorporate some your details into what I have started! :D
Thanks for sharing!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:22 am

Tusco Todd,

Thank you for your kind comments.

BTW - I do think that's the fun run I'm entering as well. It's all about the FUN!

FUN with slot cars is what it was intended to be.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Chassis looks great!

We run an 'Open Class Modified' around here, but requires inline configuration... I like to see some of the unusual engineering approaches folks have taken. Lots of what I call 'GITNIPs' (Good In Theory, Not In Practice) have been built, only to be beaten by simpler designs.

Which raises the question - as an oval car, why not go with a little more left side asymmetry? I do see some added weight, but it still looks pretty much a road racer's chassis. The bottom line of course is how it runs, and your looks fast just sitting there.

As far as the overall Hobby goes - I don't think the left-turn-only oval chassis ever really evolved to the high level of design that the road course commercial cars attained. The fun part is there is still a lot of experimentation out there.

Anyway, locally, I don't think there have been enough builders/drivers for the 'open' class to take off - but the 'scratch-built special' will always be the essence of the sport/hobby I think.

Great build - thanks.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:30 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Vintage 1/24,

The reason I did NOT do a left turn only car is simple: We have an ex-Law Enforcement Person in our little group and you know how much Donuts are appreciated! :bow-blue:

Well his track has a right hand turn Donut and also a set of esses that I need to navigate.

I was going to go for a very wild design, but reeled myself back a notch. However once this car does what I am hoping it does, the next iteration WILL BE a very exotic left hand only car. Hey, the class is called "OPEN" for a reason in my book.

We are allowed:

Colgate "Motion" Toothbrush Motor
JK Hawk 25
H&R Cobra (26,000 rpm)

as motor choices.

My immediate thought process is to build an "angled inline" drive configuration. With the Colgate "Motion" motor (which is actually an FK-180 motor) I would put the crown gear as close to the right side tire as possible. Then I would "angle" the motor towards the left side of the chassis. I might just make the chassis a simple affair for the first prototype to see how it works.

I love pseudo semi-scientific experimentation, don't you?

Thanks for the kind comments.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 pm

I will have to say that the chassis design is working out very nicely.

On it's maiden voyage yesterday it had a 1st with the NASCAR body on it and a 2nd with the Dirt Late Model body. We did not race Modifieds as one was in the paint booth and the other person has not gotten one as of yet.

The second place finish was due to some bad driving on my part, but it was about a 3 foot deficit. Next time we shall see it's real potential.

But my pseudo semi-scientific testing says, "It's a keeper"!

However, to avoid duplication of the above design, I do believe my next chassis for this category will house one of the Colgate "Motion" motors in an anglewinder configuration and that shall have weight bias already built in to the chassis. :banana-dance:
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Run some "stagger" if the rules allow.....we used to run Sprints Plus chassis on a banked oval and mine was modified to have stagger on the front and rear simply by enlarging some key holes. And yes......offsetting the motor (and running different sized tires, and soldering heavy bracing on the left side, etc) will help ;)

That will make the esses more challenging though....I would suspect "biased" torsion might be the solution if it's not just oval usage.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop