[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Bending sheet brass

Bending sheet brass

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Bending sheet brass

Postby Audi1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm going to be building a car for a proxy race and at least part of the chassis will be brass. One of the things that I need to know is what is the best way to bend sheet brass (90 degree bends with something like 0.030" brass). Is there a tool that allows you to do that on a modeling scale; one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? What's the best way to proceed here?

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Bending sheet brass

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I swear by my 3-in-1 machine. I got mine from the outfit one of our HRW members used to work at. Its the best price, and believe me, there is no difference at all in these. You'll be very glad you bought it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hck-s ... 7AodpCgA_w
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:45 pm

This may equal an arm only but you can look at it. I found this ad, but have not tried the item.

http://www.micromark.com/18-inch-bendin ... ,8227.html

I use a 3" drill press vise, and if necessary use vice grips for the leverage.

If you have a bunch you want done, ask the local high school metalwork teacher if you can pop in to use his bending brake.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I personally use a set of seaming pliers (similar to these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-fla ... 93062.html) against a piece of white oak for making simple 90 degree bends in soft material.

For more precision and heavier duty bending - you could maybe look at something like this (from a cost perspective)
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-be ... 39103.html
:)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Sorry, Todd, but stay away from that crap brake from HF. The Micromark version is much better, but still not worth the money at all. I went through three different brakes before I found the 3-in-1 machine (there are loads of names for the same exact machine from the same Chinese factory). They were all garbage when the brass gets think enough to work properly on a chassis.
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Oscar Racing » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 pm

We use the hand seamer or seaming pliers (go on flea bay) in the sheet metal industry...The HF is made to break, but there are some good units out there.....
Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 pm

No issue here - I have no experience with the example I noted (just listed it due to it's $) - and as far as the pliers go, the set I have are ooooooooold Vise-grip brand units - but I couldn't seem to find them listed - so not sure if they are made any more... :-\
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, I have a couple of Vice-Grip sheet metal pliers made before Irwin put everybody in that town out of work and stole their pensions. They are really solid, good tools. No idea what they are now.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Audi1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:50 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:50 am

Last edited by Florida_Slotter on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby RichD » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:22 am

I have the Harbor Freight brake. It is just about useless out of the box because there is nothing to retain the hold down. I cut slots in the hold down and drilled and tapped holes for a couple of 3/8th inch machine screws. I also mounted the brake on some chip board, so now it works just fine. A more expensive brake might have stops so that you could get reproducible bends.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Oscar Racing » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:41 am

Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 am

This may be a bit beyond your "less than an arm and leg" price point, but it is the best solution, especially if you plan on doing lots of bending and shearing:

Available from MicroMark.

I have had one for years, they work well with a bit of regular maintenance, like tightening all the cap screws that hold it all together. The blades have four edges each, but I'm still on the first edge on each blade after more than 500 frames.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm

masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Ive always just used my bench mounted vice. Place the part in the vice and used a hard block of wood as my "bending arm". If the brass sheet was large and I couldn't lever it over by hand Id tap the wood block with a hammer. Results were always good. Why spend money if theres no need.
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop